College Roommates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College Roommates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

College Roommates

Postby Spiegs1106 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:21 pm

My friend and I are going to Miami University of Ohio together next year as Freshman.

He wants to room together and I think it would be fun, but a lot of people have warned me not to room with a high school friend.

I found stuff like this:

"Choosing a high school roommate may not be a wise decision. College life can affect high school friends in many different ways. A high school friend may turn into a roommate that develops an affinity for late night socializing, poor eating habits and dorm room sloppiness. These changes will be fine for some; however, many high school friendships have gone the way of the wooly mammoth. Also, you go to college for change, to rise to a new level, and to experience a new different lifestyle. If you live with a high school friend, it may hinder your ability to do this."

"Don’t room with a high school friend in college!

Why? Almost every freshman considers rooming with someone from high school in college. And at first, that can sound like a good idea. Instead of getting stuck with a stranger—someone who may stash his or her dirty socks in your pillowcase or steal your favorite CD the second you want to listen to it—you could share all your college memories with a friend from home.

But don’t do it.

College is a time to grow, not to stay in your comfort zone. An old-time friend might have a hard time letting you grow up. And, friend or not, he or she will still be your roommate with the same urge to borrow your favorite CD as a random roommate would have. In fact, a roommate you knew in high school might actually feel more entitled to borrow your stuff without asking."

Has anyone had experience of have and suggestions to what I should do? Miami does not make students take a survey to find a roommate so I am afraid I might end up with someone I hate. Going with my friend may be the safe bet.
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:31 pm

Dude, just stay with your friend. You know you will at the least, probably have a good year because you know them and they aren't a jerk. However, theres a fair chance if you go the random route, you get a random d-bag and your entire year is miserable.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RyanK » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:33 pm

one of my friends is going there...

but id say take who you get.. dont try to room with someone you know, helps open up who you know, your friend will make other friends as will you so then you can all get together.. itll just help you more for networking
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:41 pm

Dude, those are completely retarded, just room with your friend. You'll have plenty of "change" to begin with, college is COMPLETELY different then anything you have ever experienced before, trust me.

Think about it, you'll both still meet a ton of new people, but you'll still have someone you know right with you from the start, and since you're so confortable together you'll be confortable introducing eachother to people you've met thus making more friends from eachother. Also knoqwing eachother lets you have better ciompromises in your living situation. Worse case senario it can't be worse then rooming with a stranger.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:42 pm

My friend's sister is a Freshman there this year. He's visited a few times and said it's really nice. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:49 pm

I roomed with my best friend my freshman year of college. If anything, we're even closer as a result. He'll be my best man in September.

Just room with your buddy. You'll have more fun. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Re: College Roommates

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:56 pm

if your roommate has similar habits to you as far as studying, sleeping, cleanliness, drinking, smoking, etc. then you will be fine. i've know a couple people that roomed with high school friends and it worked out fine. the problems arise when people dont really know their friends as well as they think they do. dont worry about opening up, making friends, etc. thats what keggers are for.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:22 pm

I roomed with my friend from high school in college, and in college he became my best friend, and had he not passed away I'd still be living with him today (and would be leaving him to move in with my fiance in 4 days :,-( )
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:49 pm

Probably a bit before your time, but this reminds me a lot of what Viper told Maverick:

You never, never leave your wing man.

Room with your buddy. You'll have ups and downs, but if he's really a buddy, the ups will far outweigh the downs.

;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:51 pm

I roomed with a stranger at UNLV and it sucked. They do one of those survey things to see if you'll fit together but there's just too many ways for people to lie on them or for subtleties. College is a big enough change on its own. If you room with your buddy, at least you'll know what to expect when you open the door to your dorm room and can expect some level of normalcy. I wouldn't recommend the stranger route for several reasons. There were people on my dorm floor who did the stranger thing and they got into some serious fights. As for me and my stranger roommate, we were cool with each other, but didn't do much other than sleep in the same room or give each other a ride if one of our cars were broken down. I'd much rather have roomed with someone I knew.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk