NEW PHILLIES LINEUP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NEW PHILLIES LINEUP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby benjapage » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:21 am

Thursday wrote:
The Guru wrote:I think this hurts Utlley in the cats most ppl drafted him for.

He's suppose to be a power middle infielder - which is rare.

Now he'll put up less RBI's but more Runs. SB will probably go down since Abreu bats behind him. Since Abreu is a lefty it makes more sense to keep Utley on 1st since then the 1st basenmen is covering the runner on 1st leaving the entire left side open for Abreu.

I think this is great for Abreu, and everyone else in the phillies lineup but hurts Utley.

Yeah, 3/4 with 3 runs is sure hurting him. :-P Sorry dude, this lineup makes sense all around.

actually, 3/4 with 3 runs supports his argument...dude.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:38 am

I'm going to differ with the other Rowand owners that don't like the move down to 6th for him. I actually am happy about it for a couple reasons.

1) Yes, it's true that he won't score as many runs hitting 6th, but he should have more RBIs. I'd prefer 80 runs and 85 RBIs to 100 rund and 60 RBIs, personally.

2) I think he'll have more SB opportunities hitting 6th. Think about it this way, if he's hitting 2nd and Rollins gets on in front of him, then he likely won't steal. If Rollins doesn't get on, he's still less likely to steal w/ Abreu up because of the hole created on the right side of the infield.

Now hitting 6th, with Bell behind him, there is no reason at all for him not to steal if he's the only guy on-base. Particularly because you want him in scoring position for both the 7th and 8th hitters, ahead of the pitcher.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby yossarian » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:57 am

I, for one, am just happy to not have Utley put up another 0fer. If moving up him up to the 2d spot is what it takes to maybe make him start concentrating on just making contact a little bit more for awhile, I'm all for it.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rainman23 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:13 pm

yossarian wrote:I, for one, am just happy to not have Utley put up another 0fer.

Same here. Yeah, this may redistribute his numbers a little bit. But none of us have our teams so precisely calibrated that this is a big deal. You draft guys for various reasons. But once the season is underway the important thing is that they are productive. If this move helps get Utley in gear, and the moves in general help get the entire Phillies offense in gear, then I'll take it. A rising tide lifts all boats. Or something like that...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:12 pm

TheGuruu wrote:I think this hurts Utlley in the cats most ppl drafted him for.

He's suppose to be a power middle infielder - which is rare.

Now he'll put up less RBI's but more Runs. SB will probably go down since Abreu bats behind him. Since Abreu is a lefty it makes more sense to keep Utley on 1st since then the 1st basenmen is covering the runner on 1st leaving the entire left side open for Abreu.
Well, the main thing people will be concerned about is the HR, and they'll still be there. Also, with Rollins in front instead of Burrell (who doesn't exactly have a fantastic OBP), he'll probably get a similar number of RBIs. Sure, the R/RBI numbers will invert a bit, but I think it will overall improve his value. You may have a point regarding the stolen bases, however. We'll just have to wait and see.

mak1277 wrote:I'm going to differ with the other Rowand owners that don't like the move down to 6th for him. I actually am happy about it for a couple reasons.

1) Yes, it's true that he won't score as many runs hitting 6th, but he should have more RBIs. I'd prefer 80 runs and 85 RBIs to 100 rund and 60 RBIs, personally.

Yeah, 'cause David Bell and Mike Lieberthal are RBI machines and will knock him in ~80 times. He'll do well to score 70 with those two hitting behind him. And no matter which way you put it, Rollins is a better table-setter than Howard. Frankly, I would have looked for more than 60 RBIs from him in the 2-hole, but if you drafted him just expecting 60, you will probably see an improvement with him moving down.

2) I think he'll have more SB opportunities hitting 6th. Think about it this way, if he's hitting 2nd and Rollins gets on in front of him, then he likely won't steal. If Rollins doesn't get on, he's still less likely to steal w/ Abreu up because of the hole created on the right side of the infield.
This is true. And they might want to send him to avoid DPs and the like, as well.

Now hitting 6th, with Bell behind him, there is no reason at all for him not to steal if he's the only guy on-base. Particularly because you want him in scoring position for both the 7th and 8th hitters, ahead of the pitcher.
Agreed. But at the same time, I still don't think he'll be a prolific base stealer. 20+, but more than 30 is unlikely.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers