How would YOU play it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How would YOU play it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How would YOU play it?

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:07 pm

Poker question.....this was a hand from a home game that I play in.

Some pertinent info: 6 handed No Limit Texas Hold Em, .25/.50 blinds. I'm UTG, and I look at pocket 22's. I decide to limp, hope it doesn't get raised, and hope to flop a set. UTG + 1 calls, folds around to the BB.

Flop comes A-5-2. All off suit. BB checks, I fire out a buck into the pot of 1.75. UTG + 1 reraises to 4 bucks. BB folds, I decide to make the call. Turn comes 6 spades, now putting 2 spades on the board. I bet out around 7 bucks, and I'm immediately put all in. I've got him covered, but it's bout another 42 bucks for me to make the call.

Somethings to know - this is a fairly agressive player, and after playing with me for years, he knows that I'm tight, and that he's going to lose me with a huge bet unless I have the nuts or close to it. So, from that perspective I thought he could be weak.

He did overbet the pot pretty ridiculously, betting all of his 42 dollars in chips to call with only 20 in the pot prior. What would you do? Make the call with your set of 2's, or throw them into the muck?

Let me know if you need any more information as I wrote this up pretty quickly - I'll post whether I called or folded later in the thread. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby luckygehrig » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:50 pm

I'd probably muck because I tend to play fairly tight when playing for real money. That's a tough one though. I've got a buddy in my poker games who tends to bet big and bluff a lot, so with a set, I could definitely see myself calling him on it.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby giants! » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:03 pm

If i knew that he was agressive and would continue to play that way even with little money, i would call. However, without knowing that I would fold
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:20 pm

Well, with the info you gave, you had to call.
1. he's loose.
2. he bet almost double the pot...that's usually a dead giveaway for a bluff. usually when you have a hand, you'll throw in a value bet to try to get a call.

I guess the flop is sort of dangerous, which is what makes it such a pain to play low pairs. I'm guessing he either had two spades or a 3/4 based on what you said. Personally, I limp in with low connectors quite often because if anything is caught, you're usually the only one who'll hit.

I'm guessing you and I would've both made the wrong read, though.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gostanford07 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:09 am

Woo hoo, a poker question... But anyway, knowing absolutely nothing about your home game (skill level, etc.) its a tough call, but based on what you said I think you have to call.

If it were me in the situation, I might have re-raised his flop bet, but could have just as easily called as you did. Knowing nothing about this guy, I would probably put him on A-5 or something of that nature. I doubt he would have re-raised with the nuts on a rainbow flop, but like I said, I know nothing about him. If he is agressive as you say, he probably would have raised preflop with A10-AK, so I could see him having A5 for two pair or possibly A9, but that would be a bad all-in with A9. Another possibility I guess is that he was trying to get cute with rockets by limping preflop. But then again, the huge turn be doesn't make sense with top set.

All in all (no pun intended) I would probably have to call this. However, if you have the $42 covered, you are probably the chip leader or near the top. Losing this pot wouldn't kill you since you've only invested around $15. If you feel confident that you can find a better spot later down the road I might consider folding but based on the info you gave I'd call.

So what happened?
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:38 am

warrick95 wrote:Well, with the info you gave, you had to call.
1. he's loose.
2. he bet almost double the pot...that's usually a dead giveaway for a bluff. usually when you have a hand, you'll throw in a value bet to try to get a call.

My thoughts exactly.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:33 am

More information is needed. You said rainbow flop, but if he was holding a/5 suited spades, and the duece on the flop was a spade, the turn gave him top pair plus mid pair plus the nut flush draw.

My official guess as to what happened is that he had pocket 5's and flopped an overset to your underset.

You have to make the call though, because the odds of that happening are very remote.

If he played 3/4 from UTG+1, then I want to start playing in your home games. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRock » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:56 am

I think he hit with A5 or A2 on the flop and had you on a straight or flush draw. Worst case he had AA, 55, or 34. Seems unlikely, so I guess I'd call.

How did you play it?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:37 am

i think you have to make the call...what happened. i really hope he didnt bet all that on a flush draw and hit it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:44 am

Make the call. ;-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk