100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Philips

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Philips

Postby j24jags » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:32 pm

This guy is on fire. Is he for real?

Hamster-I'm not asking if I should pick him up, I'm asking for info. about him
Last edited by j24jags on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:42 pm

I'm not sure if he is "for real" yet, but talent has never really been the question with him. It's not like he came out of nowhere, he used to be a top prospect and the Indians future at SS. But then he struggled in the majors and AAA, was eventually passed up by Peralta so they didn't really have a spot for him. Now if he keeps this up it looks like Felipe Lopez Part 2, Lopez was another top prospect that struggled w/ the Jays and got new life w/ the Reds.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:44 pm

he's still only 24 or 25, former top prospect with the Expos. Keep an eye on him. The pitcher might figure him out. He's not a finished product.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j24jags » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:45 pm

thanks a lot guys, i appreciate the info especially from 2 very reliable sources ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pochucker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:46 pm

He was the keystone in the Colon for Phillips/Sizemore/Lee deal.

The knock I have heard on him is he thinks he is a power hitter, always swinging for fences. Well guess what , couldnt have got traded to better spot than old great american!
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:49 pm

I think the Indians waived him. But he still need to change his thinking. He can hit for power but shouldn't swing for the fence like em...I can't recall the name now, the 2B who used to play for the Brewers and the Nationals...swing for the fence and don't have any power.

man, back then I loved the Colon trade and now it looks awful...
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:53 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:I think the Indians waived him. But he still need to change his thinking. He can hit for power but shouldn't swing for the fence like em...I can't recall the name now, the 2B who used to play for the Brewers and the Nationals...swing for the fence and don't have any power.

man, back then I loved the Colon trade and now it looks awful...

Actually the Reds got him in a trade and I believe your thinking about Junior Spivey.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby p32bars » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:03 pm

Living in NE Ohio and hearing for years about how Phillips was our star of the future, it's nice to see him finally playing well in Cincy.

As others have stated, he had quite the fascination for hitting the longball and his defense was not too stellar when he was up from AAA.

Over the past 2 years a lot has changed in the middle infield in Cleveland, Peralta becomes the mainstay at SS and Belliard has become a reliable cog at 2B. There was simply no room to bring Phillips up or bring him up into a starting role, which is no doubt what he wanted.

I honestly believe that this change of scenery will light a fire under him and we very well could be looking at a 2006 version of last year's Felipe Lopez.

Seeing Phillips play from AA and AAA and in his brief moments in the Majors, I would say given 500 at bats:

.275 - 19 HRS - 65-75 RBIS - 75-80 Runs - 10 SB's

Of course this all depends where he is in the lineup, if moved up, bump a few of those stats up a bit.

That's just my take on a guy my Indians may regret giving up on down the road. :-°
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby orakana » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:05 pm

p32bars wrote:Living in NE Ohio and hearing for years about how Phillips was our star of the future, it's nice to see him finally playing well in Cincy.

As others have stated, he had quite the fascination for hitting the longball and his defense was not too stellar when he was up from AAA.

Over the past 2 years a lot has changed in the middle infield in Cleveland, Peralta becomes the mainstay at SS and Belliard has become a reliable cog at 2B. There was simply no room to bring Phillips up or bring him up into a starting role, which is no doubt what he wanted.

I honestly believe that this change of scenery will light a fire under him and we very well could be looking at a 2006 version of last year's Felipe Lopez.

Seeing Phillips play from AA and AAA and in his brief moments in the Majors, I would say given 500 at bats:

.275 - 19 HRS - 65-75 RBIS - 75-80 Runs - 10 SB's

Of course this all depends where he is in the lineup, if moved up, bump a few of those stats up a bit.

That's just my take on a guy my Indians may regret giving up on down the road. :-°

I have to completely echo these sentements but I think that its just a hot streak. He never showed that much on the Major League level, I thought he'd end up being a minor league stud and thats all. Then again it may be the difference between AL and NL style you never know. It could also be getting out of "Cleveland" where he had to stack up with Grady and Cliff Lee to prove he was worth being part of that deal and not just the extra guy.

I'd pick him up and ride the hot streak but always keep my eye out for him to cool off big time.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fimk3777 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks Shapiro and Wedge. Good move. Vazquez is a real great option. Brandon wore out his welcome in Cle. Good for him, I hope he does well. Hit another dinger today........
fimk3777
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers