Might wanna take a good hard look at Foulke. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Might wanna take a good hard look at Foulke.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:46 am

Dark Knight wrote:
orakana wrote:This is all a bunch of useless speculation. Unless something major happens I can't see Foulke back in the closer role with his physical problems, velocity problems, and general lack of ability to pitch period. He didn't show much last year in his attempts each end of the DL stint and he hasn't shown anything in his innings yet this year.

Honestly does anyone think he has anything left of value for the sox or a fantasy team? This all sounds like desperate talk for people in desperate need of some kind of closer, go and get orvella or soriano if you're that hard up, they'll close sooner than Foulke will.

;-D What he said.

;-D What he said that he said....
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:00 am

orakana wrote:This is all a bunch of useless speculation. Unless something major happens I can't see Foulke back in the closer role with his physical problems, velocity problems, and general lack of ability to pitch period. He didn't show much last year in his attempts each end of the DL stint and he hasn't shown anything in his innings yet this year.

Honestly does anyone think he has anything left of value for the sox or a fantasy team? This all sounds like desperate talk for people in desperate need of some kind of closer, go and get orvella or soriano if you're that hard up, they'll close sooner than Foulke will.

Foulke actually has pitched pretty well if you've watched the games. Pappelbon has been putting some runners on and getting out of jams.

Obviously Pappelbon seems to have a strangle hold on the job right now but you never know what will happen if Foulke continues to pitch well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:09 am

Pokey wrote:I'm sure the Red Sox FO is just as torn as you are. But in this case, I think the tipping point will be that they see starting as a better way for Papelbon to develop.

Pap can't start unless he is sent to AAA and given a few weeks to build up his endurance for a 6-8 IP role. The Red Sox will not move him out his role unless he's horrible at it.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dice » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:35 am

I think Foulke is definitely has a lot to offer to the Red Sox this year. Currently, he's the third best reliever in the pen, just behind Timlin. Papelbon is of course #1.

Fantasy-wise, he has about a 50% chance in my estimation of being of value this year. It's not that I think Papelbon is going to tank his way out of the closer role, it's that I truly think the Sox may decide their best configuration would be Papelbon in the rotation, Foulke as closer and Hansen as set-up. If Foulke keeps progressing and the #5 starter keeps struggling, it's not out of the realm of possibility.
www.csfbl.com Computer Simulated Fantasy Baseball League
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:21 pm

Dice wrote:I think Foulke is definitely has a lot to offer to the Red Sox this year. Currently, he's the third best reliever in the pen, just behind Timlin. Papelbon is of course #1.

Fantasy-wise, he has about a 50% chance in my estimation of being of value this year. It's not that I think Papelbon is going to tank his way out of the closer role, it's that I truly think the Sox may decide their best configuration would be Papelbon in the rotation, Foulke as closer and Hansen as set-up. If Foulke keeps progressing and the #5 starter keeps struggling, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Like I said, it's not that easy. You can't just decide Pap will be the #5 starter, and, bingo he's there. You have to be without him for a few weeks while he gets work in at AAA. There is no way in hell the Red Sox basically put Pap on the DL voluntarily. You can move guys from one BP spot to another, but not from a closer to a starter without losing the guy totally for a while.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:30 pm

teddyballgamemvp wrote:
Dice wrote:I think Foulke is definitely has a lot to offer to the Red Sox this year. Currently, he's the third best reliever in the pen, just behind Timlin. Papelbon is of course #1.

Like I said, it's not that easy. You can't just decide Pap will be the #5 starter, and, bingo he's there. You have to be without him for a few weeks while he gets work in at AAA. There is no way in hell the Red Sox basically put Pap on the DL voluntarily. You can move guys from one BP spot to another, but not from a closer to a starter without losing the guy totally for a while.

What teddy said ;-D .
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby elbow macarni » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:52 pm

The cognitive dissonance here is pretty astounding. Papelbon has not allowed a run...Tito has said he's not taking him out of the bullpen...Wells gets hurt and they call on Dinardo (i.e. NOT Papelbon) to start...Foulke has not been allowed to pitch a single save opportunity this season...Timlin is clearly the #2 guy, with Foulke pitching the 7th inning or at the end of washouts...Foulke's knee is still hurting, two surgeries and a handful of injections later...

...and yet, some people are still clinging to the scenario that Foulke is just on the verge of regaining the closer's role.

Look, for all I know, Papelbon could fall apart tomorrow and never register another out, and Foulke could regain (for more than 7 days) the form he had two years ago (forgetting altogether that he was horrendous when he wasn't hurt last year)...but isn't there a point when you have to just swallow the facts and admit to yourself that the boat has probably sailed?
elbow macarni
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby orakana » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:01 pm

elbow macarni wrote:The cognitive dissonance here is pretty astounding. Papelbon has not allowed a run...Tito has said he's not taking him out of the bullpen...Wells gets hurt and they call on Dinardo (i.e. NOT Papelbon) to start...Foulke has not been allowed to pitch a single save opportunity this season...Timlin is clearly the #2 guy, with Foulke pitching the 7th inning or at the end of washouts...Foulke's knee is still hurting, two surgeries and a handful of injections later...

...and yet, some people are still clinging to the scenario that Foulke is just on the verge of regaining the closer's role.

Look, for all I know, Papelbon could fall apart tomorrow and never register another out, and Foulke could regain (for more than 7 days) the form he had two years ago (forgetting altogether that he was horrendous when he wasn't hurt last year)...but isn't there a point when you have to just swallow the facts and admit to yourself that the boat has probably sailed?

That's exactly what I was saying earlier in this discussion. You don't need to see every innign being pitched (i know I don't, i listen to most of them though) to know that Foulke is losing his value fast.

Like i said before he's not going to sniff a save chance unless there's a couple broken arms and the world comes to end.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:05 pm

To say with conviction that Foulke will not regain his role is pretty ballsy. Would it really surprise anyone if Tito regains confidence in Foulke and starts using him more and more in pressure situations?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers