Might wanna take a good hard look at Foulke. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Might wanna take a good hard look at Foulke.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:54 pm

warrick95 wrote:Maybe selling high on Paps is a good path to take at this point. I mean, if you can trade him on the level of a Turnbowtype closer, why not?

Because he will be a very good starter if he does go to the rotation. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:24 pm

and i keep reading stuff like this from sporstline...before today's record 8th save in 1 month for a Red Sox RP pitcher: :-?

Keith Foulke (0-1) walked Troy Glaus with two outs in the 12th before Rudy Seanez relieved and allowed Overbay's double to left center. Glaus chugged around the bases and slid headfirst for the winning run and Foulke was tagged with his first loss of the year.
(Updated 04/22/2006).

FANTASY ANALYSIS
This doesn't bode well for his chances to regain the closing job. However, it's great news if you own Jonathan Papelbon.

Papelbon's ERA still 0.00 :-?
Papelbon, Jonathan SP BOS

News: Jonathan Papelbon pitched 2 1/3 innings in Friday's loss at Toronto, but he did not factor in the decision. He allowed just one hit and his ERA remains at 0.00 with 10 1/3 innings to start the season.

Analysis: Papelbon did not factor in the decision, but Keith Foulke did. He was tagged for the loss and it appears Papelbon is not looking back after winning the job.

Foulke impressed with Papelbon :-?
Papelbon, Jonathan SP BOS

News: According to the Boston Herald, Keith Foulke is very impressed with the recent success of Jonathan Papelbon. "If he's not well-suited to the role, he sure is fooling a lot of people," said Foulke, who pitched a scoreless ninth inning Thursday night. "Yeah, he's got great stuff. He goes out and gets people out. That's what a closer has to do on a regular basis."

Analysis: Foulke has not been able to do it on a regular basis and that's why Papelbon has won the closing job in Boston. He has gone from an experiment to a bona fide closer and it will be a long time before Foulke is placed back into the role, if ever. He also broke the team rookie record with seven saves in a month, breaking a tie with Jeff Gray.

from rotoworld: :-?

The impact of the Synvisc knee injections Keith Foulke received this spring are beginning to lessen.
(Updated 4/20/2006)

IMPACT
That means Foulke may begin to feel more pain in his knee and will either have to pitch through the pain or go through another injection. ''There was a lot of benefit to it for a while and I was really excited about how I felt," Foulke said. ''There's no doubt I have a better range of motion than I did. Now it's back to the point where they're bothering me again."
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theclefe » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:29 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
warrick95 wrote:Maybe selling high on Paps is a good path to take at this point. I mean, if you can trade him on the level of a Turnbowtype closer, why not?

err... maybe. A transition to the rotation gets harder and harder every week. I know he is young, with a plethoria of energy, but 15 pitches to 70-100 pitches is a jump for any pitcher. It would take a few starts (or some long relief app.) before he is close to being a reliable starter. Even then, he has minimal experience as a Major League starter. You can get by with stuff as the closer, but you have to be more of a pitcher as a starter.

He is a good pitcher with a good arm, but unless you're in a keeper, a transition to the rotation isn't a good move from a fantasy standpoint.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rohan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:12 pm

Manager Terry Francona said Friday that he has no plans of taking Jonathan Papelbon out of the bullpen. The rest of Boston's relievers certainly aren't pitching well enough for Francona to feel comfortable doing that. "I like what we have, it’s a huge weapon," Francona said.

That's pretty powerfull. However, with Wells and their fifth starter not looking well, this could change. Anyone know who else could replace as a fifth starter? I think if Wells goes down, for a period of time, they have no choice but to move Papel. into the rotation.
Last edited by Rohan on Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CharlatanSin » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:21 pm

In a scary way, Papelbon reminds me of a young Mariano Rivera. Groomed as the starter of the future, but has the perfect stuff and demeanor to close, and excells. This does not bode well for us Yankee fans...
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dice » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:35 pm

It's an interesting dilemma:

Papelbon has shown every indication of being an elite closer, but also projects to being a good to very good starter.

Foulke has closed well in the past, and has shown some signs of life this year.

Craig Hansen will probably be on the big club at some point this year, and "the plan" may very well be that next spring Hansen will come in with the closer job as his to lose, and Papelbon will come in with a rotation spot as his to lose. However, if Papelbon still looks like Eric Gagne of three years ago in the late summer, there may have to be a new "plan".
www.csfbl.com Computer Simulated Fantasy Baseball League
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bceagles04 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:38 pm

comin from a Sox fan..the plan is for Hansen to take over the closer job either by this august or next spring. That is why we drafted him. Paps was supposed to start all along...i think we will stay by that
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:12 pm

If Papelbon is moved into the rotation I will be weary and try to shop him. Once teams start to see him more and formulate deeper scouting reports I think the league will catch up with him. Hitters will also start to catchup to him 2 and 3 times through the order.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:40 pm

I don't see Papelbon moving out of the pen this season unless there's a substantial injury to Schilling or Beckett. The most pressing need in the rotation is for a lefty. DiNardo is that guy for now, Wells may return, and Abe Alvarez will probably rate a look shortly (pitching very well in Pawtucket).

Foulke is doing okay, but I think there are serious questions about his ability to go back to back effectively given the knee issues. So I expect he'll stay where he is for the present.

Hansen is the closer of the future and he's been strong at AA, but I am quite sure he won't be filling that role in Boston this season.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby pokeyjoe » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:51 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. Was he a starter in the minors?
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers