Hafner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hafner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pangbones » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:32 am

From Rotowire

"Update: Hafner was given Sunday's game off because of what manager Eric Wedge called "normal Hafner aches and pains," the team's official site reports.

Recommendation: Wedge wouldn't say directly whether Hafner's elbow is giving him trouble again, though he said that will always be an issue with the slugger. Victor Martinez replaced Hafner as the DH, and Kelly Shoppach made his second start at catcher. "

That doesn't sound very encouraging. I hope the elbow doesn't become a problem again. :-o
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby orakana » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:06 pm

pangbones wrote:From Rotowire

"Update: Hafner was given Sunday's game off because of what manager Eric Wedge called "normal Hafner aches and pains," the team's official site reports.

Recommendation: Wedge wouldn't say directly whether Hafner's elbow is giving him trouble again, though he said that will always be an issue with the slugger. Victor Martinez replaced Hafner as the DH, and Kelly Shoppach made his second start at catcher. "

That doesn't sound very encouraging. I hope the elbow doesn't become a problem again. :-o

Thanks for the update. As much as I like the guy, and I know that injuries are a problem with everyone, but he seems like a pansy to me, after last year being out after getting hit with a curve ball for a couple weeks and this elbow thing recurring he may be a constant injury risk brewing.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 5 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:12 pm

He's the freakin' DH...was this a freak cheerleading injury?
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:04 pm

Last year was Big Papi's career high for games: 159. Years before that were 150, 128, & 125. And you can hurt yourself lifting weights: kind of spurious to say that someone doesn't need a day off just because they're the DH.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby orakana » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:06 pm

Matthias wrote:Last year was Big Papi's career high for games: 159. Years before that were 150, 128, & 125. And you can hurt yourself lifting weights: kind of spurious to say that someone doesn't need a day off just because they're the DH.

Fair enough, thanks for the Ortiz reference numbers. I'm not saying guys don't need days off or get injured. You'd just think a DH would be able to play just about every day.
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:35 pm

orakana wrote:Fair enough, thanks for the Ortiz reference numbers. I'm not saying guys don't need days off or get injured. You'd just think a DH would be able to play just about every day.

Hasn't Victor Martinez played in every game so far? If they should be giving anyone a day off, it should be him...I know he's hitting well but they need him healthy down the stretch and he plays the most taxing position in the game.

Why doesn't Pronk ice his elbow inbetween innings instead of twiddling his thumbs?
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby orakana » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:37 pm

bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:
orakana wrote:Fair enough, thanks for the Ortiz reference numbers. I'm not saying guys don't need days off or get injured. You'd just think a DH would be able to play just about every day.

Hasn't Victor Martinez played in every game so far? If they should be giving anyone a day off, it should be him...I know he's hitting well but they need him healthy down the stretch and he plays the most taxing position in the game.

Why doesn't Pronk ice his elbow inbetween innings instead of twiddling his thumbs?

I think he's missed one, I know shopach as caught a couple games, the sunday game vmart was the dH, which I guess is like a day off for him since he's not catching.
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:49 pm

That's right, I do actually remember one game when he sat...(I have Victor on my fantasy team too).

I don't understand why Hafner needed a day off yesterday of all days though, when they don't have a game today...It's like my roommate skipping all of his classes on a Friday just so his weekend can start sooner...

I don't care if Affeldt is strong against lefties, he's got like a 5+ ERA and Hafner is one of the best left-handed batters in the game...

In all honesty, would Affeldt even crack the rotation if he played for the Indians? or Boston? or Oakland? or New York? or Chicago? or any team with a chance to win more games than they lose this year?

The Royals are just abysmal...the Indians should be embarassed for splitting that series.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby orakana » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:52 pm

bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:That's right, I do actually remember one game when he sat...(I have Victor on my fantasy team too).

I don't understand why Hafner needed a day off yesterday of all days though, when they don't have a game today...It's like my roommate skipping all of his classes on a Friday just so his weekend can start sooner...

I don't care if Affeldt is strong against lefties, he's got like a 5+ ERA and Hafner is one of the best left-handed batters in the game...

In all honesty, would Affeldt even crack the rotation if he played for the Indians? or Boston? or Oakland? or New York? or Chicago? or any team with a chance to win more games than they lose this year?

The Royals are just abysmal...the Indians should be embarassed for splitting that series.

They lost 2 of 3 I believe. on that road trip: 2-2 split at Detroit, 1-2 series loss at Balt, and same at KC. That's odd to give a day off ahead of a day off when you're trying to salvage the series and roadtrip.
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehotcorner » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:55 pm

orakana wrote:
Matthias wrote:Last year was Big Papi's career high for games: 159. Years before that were 150, 128, & 125. And you can hurt yourself lifting weights: kind of spurious to say that someone doesn't need a day off just because they're the DH.

Fair enough, thanks for the Ortiz reference numbers. I'm not saying guys don't need days off or get injured. You'd just think a DH would be able to play just about every day.

yeah..and if hafner takes days off at this rate he will start about 154 games this year. nothing to complain about.
thehotcorner
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates