Edmonds - why not valued higher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Edmonds - why not valued higher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:02 pm

Is Edmonds a great center fielder? Yes

Was his catch in the NLCS 2 years ago a phenomenal play? Yes

Does he showboat and dive for balls that he doesn't need to? Unequivocally, yes. Then he gets up and limps around for 5 minutes.

I'm not saying he's not good. But have you heard the comment about some guys "making hard plays look easy"....well Edmonds makes easy plays look hard. That's my only point.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jealousblues » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:07 pm

lol, i like the quote ^ I understand the point of view. But I just dont get why he would do that? I mean his livelyhood depends on health, why would he take the risk.. And fo rthat matter if it was that obvious, why wouldnt the team tell him to knock it off. I mean Buerhlee was told to stop sliding on the tarps. Certain players are not "allowed" to ride motorcycles and stuff in contracts.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:02 pm

I have an irrational dislike for Jim Edmonds, he is easily my least favorite player in all of baseball.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:55 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I have an irrational dislike for Jim Edmonds, he is easily my least favorite player in all of baseball.

I think it's because he wears half-shirts under his jersey and gets his tips frosted.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:04 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I have an irrational dislike for Jim Edmonds, he is easily my least favorite player in all of baseball.

I think it's because he wears half-shirts under his jersey and gets his tips frosted.

LOL, we have some sick crap on our league message board (50/50 Cards fans and Cubs fans...) about his ebullient style. :-D

I ended up drafting him last year and will not be drafting him any more. The whole 'when will he get banged up and be out for two games here and two games there?' question PLUS then he comes back and hits taters right about when you pull him out. He will raise your fantasy blood pressure at least 20 points... :-t
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:58 pm

mak1277 wrote:

I think the thing that annoys me most about Edmonds is what he does when he hits a ball that he knows is gone. He pauses for a split second and stares at it, then just drops the bat. Somehow that pisses me off more than the chest thump thing that Sammy used to do, the bat flip that some guys do, the staring and walking that Barry does, etc. I don't know why, but that just pisses me off.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jealousblues » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:04 am

mak1277 wrote:

So do Pujols and Rolen (well the shirts anyway) and I bet they are better than anyone playing on your team.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby cards05 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:33 am

jealousblues wrote:
mak1277 wrote:

So do Pujols and Rolen (well the shirts anyway) and I bet they are better than anyone playing on your team.

Do you happen to visit insidestl.com??? Because I know a recent Edmonds chat revealed that both Albert and Rolen were into the half shirt thing.

Edmonds may hot dog it at times, but I'll take it. Certain players do certain things which give them a free pass. Edmonds is one of these players. This isn't very relevant to fantasy baseball, but this thread has turned into a debate on Edmonds "real" value (I mean, the main point of discussion has become his defense).
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jealousblues » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:41 am

I dont frequent that site, but I was linked there from Stltoday. Yeah, that was the interview.

Was the other person Izzy? I cant remember what number he said.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby cards05 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:47 am

jealousblues wrote:I dont frequent that site, but I was linked there from Stltoday. Yeah, that was the interview.

Was the other person Izzy? I cant remember what number he said.

Yeah, I think Izzy was the third. I stated that Edmonds can hot dog it at times, but I agree with your assessment. I do not believe that he purposely breaks late for balls or dives when he doesn't need to. I simply think that he enjoys the limelight more than most (ala Curt Schilling).
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers