Help a fantasy rookie out... WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Help a fantasy rookie out... WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help a fantasy rookie out... WHIR

Postby kid a » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:25 am

I recently traded Brad Penny and Matt Holliday for Randy Johnson. (cafe advice) My hitting is weak, my pitching is strong, so I wasn't in love with the trade, but everyone agreed that was stealing one of the best pitchers in baseball, and that I'd be able to trade for the power/hitting I need after that.

It's a basic 5x5, H2H, 14 team deep Yahoo league.

C Barajas
1B Teixeira
2B Figgins
3B Mora
SS Vizquel
OF Edmonds
OF Rowand
OF Granderson
Util Nevin
BN Hawpe
BN Church
BN E Encarnacion

SP R Johnson
SP C Zambrano
RP B Lidge
RP T Gordon
P M Gonzalez
P D Miceli
P J Beckett
BN J Garland
BN S Kazmir
BN C Young
BN J Seo

This is a list of the top FA hitters available:
J Repko, J DaVanon, A Kennedy, G Gross, R Johnson (RF Tor), R Sanders, T Walker, K Greene, J Crede.

M Ellis, R Bellierd, J Jones, C Counsell, K Lofton, D Delluci, & C Monroe are also available.

Sorry, I'm not looking for an assistant GM or anything, I just wasn't exactly comfortable with the trade and now making more moves seems very urgent. So, my very specific questions are:

1. Between RJ, Zambrano, and Beckett, who should I be looking to move? Who can get me the most? Is 2 solid hitters (if not 1 stud and 1 average hitter) out of the question?

2. Any FA's jump out at you? Should I drop anyone for any of these guys?

3. I've searched through all the buy low threads on this site. Are there any players I should definitely be able to land with one of my pitchers?

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.
Last edited by kid a on Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kid a
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Packwolfer » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:32 am

Thanks for the help.

As for #1, I'd say Encarnacion by a nose.

#2 I'd say Beckett will have the better year of those three, but RJ will be able to command more and yeah, I think you could get two solid hitters for him.

#3 not sure on

Hope that helps.
Packwolfer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kid a » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:34 am

Packwolfer wrote:Thanks for the help.

As for #1, I'd say Encarnacion by a nose.

#2 I'd say Beckett will have the better year of those three, but RJ will be able to command more and yeah, I think you could get two solid hitters for him.

#3 not sure on

Hope that helps.

Thank you much, every reply helps!
kid a
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bjc3345 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:54 am

1 encarcion

2/3 look to move randy and edmonds - I think both are more marketable than they may be worth - for someone who has no starting pitching and pick up a couple of nice bats. worth a try...hopefully there is a team that is in need of sp and has some guys you like. I would try and get like a matsui type and a guy w/ huge potential giambi....again I am just throwing stuff out there - teh chance of the team that needs pitching and has two guys you like are slim -but hopefully it can work for you.

as an aside. I like k. greene over vizquel (much more power adn upside) - despite vizquels start. I would act quick on that in such a deep league. good luck and thanks on mine.
bjc3345
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kid a » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:14 am

bjc3345 wrote:1 encarcion

2/3 look to move randy and edmonds - I think both are more marketable than they may be worth - for someone who has no starting pitching and pick up a couple of nice bats. worth a try...hopefully there is a team that is in need of sp and has some guys you like. I would try and get like a matsui type and a guy w/ huge potential giambi....again I am just throwing stuff out there - teh chance of the team that needs pitching and has two guys you like are slim -but hopefully it can work for you.

as an aside. I like k. greene over vizquel (much more power adn upside) - despite vizquels start. I would act quick on that in such a deep league. good luck and thanks on mine.

Thank you very much!

After skimming it seems the team that needs SP the most has the most OF's, and I think Abreu is the guy I'm going to target.

As for Vizquel, I know Greene is probably the better choice over the long haul, it's just so hard to part with someone who's started off so hot and won me SB's by 1 for 2 weeks with Sunday steals. :)
kid a
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nemo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:19 am

Thanks for the help with mine.

I think the trade was a good one for you, but it doesn make you need to do another deal. I think you can flip RJ for better than you gave away. I think he's going to be inconsistent this year. Some really good starts and then some real bad one's. You might have to wait until he has another good one to start shopping him. His last one was a real stinker. Like bjc said Edmonds might be a good combo to work in a RJ trade for an OF upgrade.

I also agree that Encarnacion is your best bet for your open spot.
Nemo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thegreatone3 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:37 am

Encarnacion would be a decent pick-up but none of those FAs really jump out as a great pick-up. Keep an eye on Repko. He's showing speed plus a little power.
I'm not sure if The Unit can fetch you a stud hitter plus another hitter. He's not what he once was and I'd personally be afraid to deal for him. Beckett's hot start might fetch you more.
"I’m just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe."
thegreatone3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DirtDawg » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:06 am

def encarnacion. and move randy for a hitter...adam dunn range
DirtDawg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kingmike74 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:11 am

After this weeks games I would drop hawpe for Sanders and get Green at SS for vizguel. You are fine on stolen bags so Green will give you an extra 20 HR. If I had that staff, I would trade Beckett while he is hot for a big OF horse with 40 HR potential if I could.
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby kid a » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:08 pm

Thanks for all the help.... I've already put Encarnacion into the empty spot.

Still going to wait for more responses before I start shopping a pitcher. leaning towards the RJ/Edmonds combo that was suggested.
Last edited by kid a on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kid a
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team