Todd Jones no longer closing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Todd Jones no longer closing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Todd Jones no longer closing?

Postby Frappy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:14 am

Tonight in the Tiger's 2-0 win Todd Jones did not close the game. Rodney got the call. Im worried because Jones came back and got a save, but was really shaky. Hes on my team, If I lose a closer Im in trouble.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:17 am

he cant go back to back right off the DL

announcers said he was available only if VERY necessary

if they need a save tomorrow jones will likely get the 1st crack

i wouldnt be shocked if eventually though rodney is back closing FT and jones is setting up..just a hunch
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Chip1010 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:28 am

Yeah, it appears that Jones is the closer for now, but I'm scared to drop Rodney because he's doing so well, you never know if he'll get the job. I'm gonna wait and see what happens, I guess.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TonyCee » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:47 am

LOL, "Jones no longer the closer" but "he got the save last night", too funny. :-b
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:53 am

They're just being cautious with Jones, so they gave him the night off. I would be concerned if he doesn't pitch better than he did Friday. Rodney and Zumaya are pitching way too well for Leyland to put up with Jones blowing games.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:52 am

moochman wrote:They're just being cautious with Jones, so they gave him the night off. I would be concerned if he doesn't pitch better than he did Friday. Rodney and Zumaya are pitching way too well for Leyland to put up with Jones blowing games.

exactly. i own Jones and i'm not too worried yet. you dont pay a guy that much money to be your set-up man, espeiclaly if your the Tigers.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:11 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
exactly. i own Jones and i'm not too worried yet. you dont pay a guy that much money to be your set-up man, espeiclaly if your the Tigers.

That's exactly what the Red Sox are doing with Foulke, and there's no reason that the Tigers, who have a chance to compete for the wildcard if a lot of thing happen in their favor, should have Jones closing games just because they're paying him a lot of money. Rodney has been lights out so far and if Leyland is smart, he will give Jones a short leash...
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby orakana » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:04 pm

bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

That's exactly what the Red Sox are doing with Foulke, and there's no reason that the Tigers, who have a chance to compete for the wildcard if a lot of thing happen in their favor, should have Jones closing games just because they're paying him a lot of money. Rodney has been lights out so far and if Leyland is smart, he will give Jones a short leash...

I agree with this one, I'd stick with Rodney right now, he's hot and doing a good job closing the games down. Most of the time closers are just as good as their current streak. Look at the boston situation, they're going with Pap cause he's the hot guy right now and letting foulke just sit around in limbo. You don't just make a change to make a change, I don't care about the give the guy back his job, can't loose it cause of injury thing.
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:21 am

Rodney came in in the 8th yesterday, Jones closed it out.

the job is Jones unless he absolutely implodes or gets injured again. Rodney-time is over for now
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby 5 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:59 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:Rodney came in in the 8th yesterday, Jones closed it out.

the job is Jones unless he absolutely implodes or gets injured again. Rodney-time is over for now

unfortunately dan's right. but there's always a chance of the implosion. getting three quick out against the Mariners wasn't exactly a test.
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates