'We could be Heroes' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

'We could be Heroes'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

'We could be Heroes'

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:03 pm

Does this Wallfloers song have any wierd hidden meaning?

I am making a video for my kids' PTO with all the stuff that they've done this year, and I thought that would be a good song.

Anyone know?

Also, any other song suggestions?

Thanks!
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:26 pm

Not to my knowledge.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:56 pm

Wallflowers :-?
did they cover the David Bowie song, or is this another song alltogether?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:26 pm

yes it's a love song about godzilla...
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:29 pm

It's the David Bowie song, but I'm using the Wallflowers one.

One reason I was not sure if there was any hidden meaning it.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Rkiivs » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:19 pm

A little bit of background (hope it helps you):

It's late 70's and Bowie had just moved to Berlin to clean himself up from the drug and alcohol fueled pace he had been running previously in Los Angeles. "Heroes", the album, comes smack in middle of the what is considered as the Berlin trilogy ("Low" & "Lodger" being the bookends of this set) made with the very excellent producer and synthesizer whiz Brian Eno.

Bowie sought creative inspiration at that time from the city itself, including the Berlin Wall and its history. In fact, the wall was in viewing distance from the very studio he chose to record in (trivia: the studio used to be a Gestapo ballroom). He conceived the song about two lovers living on opposite sides of the wall and willing to risk it all to meet and ultimately die there in a hail of bullets from one of the gun turrets. It captures that desperate moment when one will die for love and emphasizes the ability to rise above all obstacles. (I picture the man mortally wounded but still trying to reach her by crawling in the dust of no man's land. And her in her wedding dress torn and snagged on the barbed wire reaching out to him in her last moments.) It can be viewed as over the top on one hand, but I feel Bowie's humanity at it's strongest in this moment. It's pop perfection.
Good morning America, how are you... Don't you know me, I'm your native son
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:22 pm

Thanks -- I knew that a story was out there somewhere.

When I hear the song, I see Keanu Reeves playing football. :-)

I might have to look for another song.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:10 pm

Rkiivs wrote:Image

It's late 70's and Bowie had just moved to Berlin to clean himself up from the drug and alcohol fueled pace he had been running previously in Los Angeles. "Heroes", the album, comes smack in middle of the what is considered as the Berlin trilogy ("Low" & "Lodger" being the bookends of this set) made with the very excellent producer and synthesizer whiz Brian Eno.

Bowie sought creative inspiration at that time from the city itself, including the Berlin Wall and its history. In fact, the wall was in viewing distance from the very studio he chose to record in (trivia: the studio used to be a Gestapo ballroom). He conceived the song about two lovers living on opposite sides of the wall and willing to risk it all to meet and ultimately die there in a hail of bullets from one of the gun turrets. It captures that desperate moment when one will die for love and emphasizes the ability to rise above all obstacles. (I picture the man mortally wounded but still trying to reach her by crawling in the dust of no man's land. And her in her wedding dress torn and snagged on the barbed wire reaching out to him in her last moments.) It can be viewed as over the top on one hand, but I feel Bowie's humanity at it's strongest in this moment. It's pop perfection.

Wow. Great post. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:16 pm

Rkiivs wrote:Image

Something very similar to this happened in real life in Sarejavo in the 90s during all the fighting. A man and his wife/girlfriend were trying to make a run for it across the line of battle. They made it about 50 yards when the man was shot by a sniper. The woman ran back to him but just as she got there she was shot too. Both died.

It was one of the most awful things I've ever seen on the news.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:22 pm

knapplc wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:A little bit of background (hope it helps you):

Something very similar to this happened in real life in Sarejavo in the 90s during all the fighting. A man and his wife/girlfriend were trying to make a run for it across the line of battle. They made it about 50 yards when the man was shot by a sniper. The woman ran back to him but just as she got there she was shot too. Both died.

It was one of the most awful things I've ever seen on the news.

perspective...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Return to General Talk