The offical American Idol thread? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The offical American Idol thread?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Thrill » Thu May 11, 2006 12:34 pm

ironman wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:In any case, I think Chris showed enough talent to get the attention of some record execs. He's marketable without question, so even though he's gone, I'm sure he'll make it just fine with the exposure he's gotten from Idol.

exactly...although he'll end up in some crappy Nicklebackish band

Well I never thought his talent ever exceeded the ranks of some crappy Nickelbackish band so that seems about right.

Agreed. And regardless of how much he may have tried here and there to sound a bit different, that's his thing (the Nickelbackish, Creedish, Liveish - sound). He should stand to make some more dough out of being on AI, but he was never destined for much more beyond a band's lead vocal anyway IMO.

Am rooting for Taylor here on out, but I question whether he'll have much more of a following beyond what already exists for him.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu May 11, 2006 12:51 pm

Chris had the best voice but Elliot is the best singer.

If you don't enjoy Michael Buble type music or the funky Al Jarreau sound you won't like Elliot but he is an amazing singer.

I used to enjoy Taylor but his schtick is wearing really thin - I wish he would just sit down and sing like he's not having a seizure. And for the love of God stop shouting out "soul patrol".
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu May 11, 2006 2:10 pm

There's a thread on this at the Football Cafe (sort of), so I'll just say the same thing I did there...

I guess that Chris guy was ripping off other people's arrangements of songs. That's not cool on a show where you're supposed to sing things in your own personal style (even though you're singing someone else's song which to me seems like a double standard :-S).

I suppose that Clarkson chick has done a few of her own songs now and is decent, so that's cool. If this dude was just doing karaoke up there he shouldn't win the competition. But you are all right...he'll find a gig somewhere because of his celebrity. I wish I could do that because I think I'm pretty good at singing too. :,-(
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri May 12, 2006 3:20 am

baseball6791 wrote:
GSes wrote:how the hell did chris get voted off? he was suppose to win, this is the biggest crap i have ever seen. :~( :~( :~( :~(

Yeah the show is pretty much a joke at this point IMO. The best 2 - Chris and Paris - have been voted off already, and although I'm rooting for Eliot from here on out, none of them with the possible exception of Katherine have a chance of making a successful career. I'm not too worried though because both Paris and Chris will end up making CDs anyways.

This is exactly the way I feel about it. They were my picks to win it as soon as the voting started. Though I really wanted to see Paris win with Chris coming in 2nd so I could hear what his band sounds like (I'm pretty sure he is already in one.) From here on out I'd like to see Katherine win it as I think she has the best singing voice when she tries. Elliott wouldn't bother me if he won. Taylor has great stage presence, but in all honesty he's the worst singer left.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby finalheaven » Fri May 12, 2006 7:25 am

Chris got an offer from Fuel last night to be their lead singer. Not bad, considering no one knew who he was 6 months ago.
finalheaven
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 12, 2006 9:30 am

finalheaven wrote:Chris got an offer from Fuel last night to be their lead singer. Not bad, considering no one knew who he was 6 months ago.

wow, i didnt know they lost their origonal singer
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby nsulham » Fri May 12, 2006 10:43 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
finalheaven wrote:Chris got an offer from Fuel last night to be their lead singer. Not bad, considering no one knew who he was 6 months ago.

wow, i didnt know they lost their origonal singer

Neither did I, and I'm a huge Fuel fan, being a PA boy and all. Brett Scallions is such a great singer but he and Daughtry do sound awfully alike. Oddly enough, Scallions left the band and is now the bass player of all things for some band called The X's. Going from the frontman of a pretty high-profile rock band to the bass player for an obscure band? Not sure about that choice.

I think Chris might stay away from this though. I think he'd hit much bigger if he flew solo.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri May 12, 2006 2:39 pm

You guys probably don't know but there is a Canadian version of the show called Canadian Idol. A few years ago a guy named Jacob Hoggard tried out for the show as a joke and maybe to get some airtime and free publicity for his band. He went on the show with noserings and rings in rings in his lips and just looked like a complete freak.

When he made it to the final three and it looked like he was going to win it he went on his website and told all of his fans to vote for someone else b/c the last thing in the world that he wanted was to be known as the winner of a crappy show like Canadian Idol :-b

Anyways he was voted off in third place and his band Hedley is actually quite good and have a decent single out called "On my own".
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:You guys probably don't know but there is a Canadian version of the show called Canadian Idol. A few years ago a guy named Jacob Hoggard tried out for the show as a joke and maybe to get some airtime and free publicity for his band. He went on the show with noserings and rings in rings in his lips and just looked like a complete freak.

When he made it to the final three and it looked like he was going to win it he went on his website and told all of his fans to vote for someone else b/c the last thing in the world that he wanted was to be known as the winner of a crappy show like Canadian Idol :-b

Anyways he was voted off in third place and his band Hedley is actually quite good and have a decent single out called "On my own".

was it all just a bunch of Bryan Adams cover songs?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby nsulham » Sat May 13, 2006 9:30 am

Yeah Mook they have "Idols" all around the world. I remember after the first season they had something like "Global Idol" where all the winners competed against each other (Coincidentally, Kelly Clarkson won the thing). I forget which country it was (I think Germany) but this total un-Idol-like guy entered their contest and actually won it because his voice was amazing. The guy looked like a hobbit but he could sing, kinda like Elliot today.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk