Marlins Relocation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marlins Relocation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:43 pm

As much as I would love to see a team in Vegas, there are a couple of other concerns once you get past the Gambling stigma.

A) The weather is not 'Nice' ... It can reach 120 degrees in the summer and freezing in the winter. Since this is baseball we only need to concern ourselves with the summer. It would have to be an inclosed stadium, and because of the extreme heat, it would have to be closed all the time .... Astro turf anybody?

B) Since Vegas is a 24 hour town, it has been estimated that any any given time 35% of the city is working and another 35% are sleeping. That would severly cut down on the attendence pool.

C) You cannot rely on tourists to go to games. Florida is a popular vacation destination, but it doesn't drive people to games. San Diego is a popular vacation destination, but it does not bring people to games. Los Angeles is a popular vacation destination ... yada yada yada ... Anaheim is a popular vacation yada yada yada ....

So yes their there are inherent problems with putting simply putting a team in Las Vegas.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:47 pm

I should also add..

that Portland is not an option.

the citizens are allready paying a tax due to their Minor league stadium renovations, and everytime they have been polled, they say they don't really want another stadium.
Bud Selig would never go for that.

Also the minor league team that is there now, is owned by the league, not unlike the Washington Natinals.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby tal1286 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:02 pm

don't forget about this.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/02/contraction_on_.html

I see no reason why the owners wouldn't contract and the marlins are the most likely candidate as far as I can tell.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby nuggets » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:30 pm

suppasonic wrote:Portland has the biggest market for any team without a MLB team (SA is #1 if you include Austin Nearby).

They also are the only city with public funds lined up for a new stadium.

Give oregon a team. C'mon.

Thank you. We have the 3rd largest sports market in the US relative to pro teams (NY, LA). There is no way an even ok baseball team will not thrive here. NWerners love their home teams as much as Green Bay Packer fans love their Pack and Cubs fans love their Cubbies. :-)
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:57 pm

wrveres wrote:As much as I would love to see a team in Vegas, there are a couple of other concerns once you get past the Gambling stigma.

A) The weather is not 'Nice' ... It can reach 120 degrees in the summer and freezing in the winter. Since this is baseball we only need to concern ourselves with the summer. It would have to be an inclosed stadium, and because of the extreme heat, it would have to be closed all the time .... Astro turf anybody?

B) Since Vegas is a 24 hour town, it has been estimated that any any given time 35% of the city is working and another 35% are sleeping. That would severly cut down on the attendence pool.

C) You cannot rely on tourists to go to games. Florida is a popular vacation destination, but it doesn't drive people to games. San Diego is a popular vacation destination, but it does not bring people to games. Los Angeles is a popular vacation destination ... yada yada yada ... Anaheim is a popular vacation yada yada yada ....

So yes their there are inherent problems with putting simply putting a team in Las Vegas.

I can't really disagree with any of the points that you make, but I have to say that Arizona is also a land of extreme temps. If Vegas were to get a BOB or Chase (or whatever it's called now) situation going on, I think it would be fine.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theclefe » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:12 am

wrveres wrote:As much as I would love to see a team in Vegas, there are a couple of other concerns once you get past the Gambling stigma.

When ever the Yankees or Red Sox play Tampa Bay, there is a noticable boost in attendance. All the retired folks come out to the ballpark. I'm not saying it would drive sales, but it would be a nice boost.
[/b]
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby luckygehrig » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:45 pm

theclefe wrote:

When ever the Yankees or Red Sox play Tampa Bay, there is a noticable boost in attendance. All the retired folks come out to the ballpark. I'm not saying it would drive sales, but it would be a nice boost.
[/b]

Not to mention that in Vegas, not only is it full of tourists but the people who live there are also from places all around the country. So those people would be bringing their own fandom with them from all around the country. Not saying it's a perfect plan, but I definitely could see Vegas supporting a pro team.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:22 pm

To me Vegas has the best chance of success. But it has the most concern and risk because it would have to be a tight ship. So I presume letting the MLB own the team in Vegas so they can oversee everything. But that seems like an unlikely thing for Selig to do.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers