Marlins Relocation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marlins Relocation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marlins Relocation

Postby oriolesbatboy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:58 am

what's new on the marlins situation? are they still looking at Vegas?
oriolesbatboy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby luckygehrig » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:22 am

I heard San Antonio is the front-runner. Vegas should still be up there though. Mayor Goodman has been trying to get a team for awhile now, it's only a matter of time before one of the leagues breaks down.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby johnsamo » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:34 am

I don't think MLB will ever give Vegas a team... That whole gambling thing. All those players, all that sports betting. best to keep it separate, too many chances for scandals.

San Antonio is a much likelier option, but it'd be a shame for Miami not too have a team.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:33 am

Miami needs to be able to support a team for me to believe they "deserve" one. They had poor attendance even in years when they won the WS.

Anyway, not sure if the Marlins leave, but I agree the front-runner would seem to be San Antonio right now.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby JakeTrain72 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:56 am

well lets say they end up in SA. What divisional alignments are going to happen?

I surely hope MLB is not as blind as the Big East and won't consider a team in Texas for the Eastern division.

Only two options really make sense...

Swap Pit and SA? or just add SA to the AL West and subtract from the NL East?
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:01 am

Move CIN or PIT (only 2 Eastern time zone teams) to East. Slide SA into the Central. PIT makes most since due to potential rivalry with PHI (though they are closer to some NL Central teams in term of distance - but both PENN teams), not to mention they were in East when it was 2 divisions, so history with NYM as well.

SA and HOU become a nice potential rivalry as well.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:29 am

JakeTrain72 wrote:or just add SA to the AL West and subtract from the NL East?

They have to have an even number of teams in both leagues. If they made it 15 and 15 one team from each league wouldn't have an opponent available.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:00 pm

Is there really any remaining city out there that can support a good major league club?

Not that it would ever happen, but the best remaining place for a succesful organization would be to bring a third team into New York.
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby theclefe » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:32 pm

johnsamo wrote:I don't think MLB will ever give Vegas a team... That whole gambling thing. All those players, all that sports betting. best to keep it separate, too many chances for scandals.

San Antonio is a much likelier option, but it'd be a shame for Miami not too have a team.

I disagree.

I hear this arguement aganist Vegas so often it has become cliche. Vegas can have a sports team. It will be very successful too. The vices a player will face in Vegas can be found in New York, LA... every big city. It is just out in the open with Vegas. We live in an age were a player could bet over the Internet easier than walking into the Tropicana. Vegas is an excellent market, ripe for a franchise.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby luckygehrig » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:43 pm

theclefe wrote:
johnsamo wrote:I don't think MLB will ever give Vegas a team... That whole gambling thing. All those players, all that sports betting. best to keep it separate, too many chances for scandals.

I disagree.

I hear this arguement aganist Vegas so often it has become cliche. Vegas can have a sports team. It will be very successful too. The vices a player will face in Vegas can be found in New York, LA... every big city. It is just out in the open with Vegas. We live in an age were a player could bet over the Internet easier than walking into the Tropicana. Vegas is an excellent market, ripe for a franchise.

I completely agree. I think that Vegas might actually be tougher for an athlete to get some gambling done just because everyone would be looking for it. Nobody really expects someone in say Cincy, to be in a gambling ring as much as they would someone playing in Vegas. I guarantee there would be a lot of security watching out for players were a team ever moved to Vegas.

As fas as markets go, Vegas would be excellent for a team. It's got good weather for baseball and is full of people from all around the country. There are so many retirees going to Vegas now to live that a baseball fan base would be quite easy to set up. Even if they don't get behind the Marlins (or whatever they would be called there), they would still show up to the park to see their favorite teams from their former hometowns. I don't think anything but positives would come out of a move to Vegas.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers