Dontrelle gets hammered - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dontrelle gets hammered

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dontrelle gets hammered

Postby Longshot » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:38 pm

After a rain delay of about an hour i think, Dontrelle comes back to give up 6 hits and 6 runs. Ouch. I think it has more to do with the rain delay messing up his rhytem and focus than an explosion on his part, although before the delay he did give up 2 walks in the first innings alone.

Your thought?
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:42 pm

Well, the rain delay prolly had a lot to do with it, it was an hour and 7 minutes.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LCBOY » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:42 pm

EVERY pitcher gets hammered once in a while. Willis' time was coming. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets hammered a few times this season. It's the nature of the game. He'll have more good starts then bad ones.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:44 pm

The train has been derailed! :-o

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:49 pm

Yeah, Willis's fall back to earth was more than overdue. Anyone who expected him to keep his ERA around 2.00 was delussional. He'll probably pitch decently the rest of the way, but will wind up with an ERA in the low 3.00 range. He is definitely not a top 10 pitcher.

This start is probably a sign of things to come since it's the second time the Cubs have seen Willis. When he starts seeing quality offenses like Atlanta and St. Louis second times around, he will really start getting lit.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby willieroe » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:Well, the rain delay prolly had a lot to do with it, it was an hour and 7 minutes.

The rain delay hasn't seem to hurt Zambrano much, though. Of course, Zambrano has pitched through a lot of rain and rain delay this season, as will Willis, if he stays in Florida.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:57 pm

Once again, I'm the one laughing, having picked up Webb instead of Willis :-D. Sorry all Willis owners, it looks as if the ride may be coming to an end.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Leiter Fan » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:58 pm

willieroe wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Well, the rain delay prolly had a lot to do with it, it was an hour and 7 minutes.

The rain delay hasn't seem to hurt Zambrano much, though. Of course, Zambrano has pitched through a lot of rain and rain delay this season, as will Willis, if he stays in Florida.

The rain delay was definitely a major cause. I was watching the game, and when Willis came back, he was not nearly as sharp as he was before the delay.

And as for Zambrano, even though he didn't suffer any ill effects to his pitching from the delay, he sliiped on the basepaths TWICE and even fell down after getting a hit off Willis. So, everyone was a bit rusty coming back.

As a Willis owner, I am not worried. Start him again in 5 days, no questions asked!
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby stratusfactionrt » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:00 pm

blankman wrote:Once again, I'm the one laughing, having picked up Webb instead of Willis :-D. Sorry all Willis owners, it looks as if the ride may be coming to an end.

I'd disagree. He's done too well to just fall apart. Even if it weren't for the rain delay, every pitcher is bound to have a bad outing here and there.

On another note, the guy in my league with Willis benched him today. I think this manager can tell the future, b/c he always seems to have pitchers on the bench when they do really bad.
stratusfactionrt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Longshot » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:03 pm

I love that report Leiter Fan. Rain Delay's can really mess up a pitchers rythem and cause his arm to cold and stiff. I plan on starting Dontrelle in 5 days with full faith of another great start.

Side Note - I had Moose pitching also, and what looked to be a CG SHO made me brush aside Willis' stats. Of course, Moose then gives up 3 straight runs, 2 on 1-2 counts.. Kill Me. Yanks better hang on or I'll be pissed. Let's leep Armando out of this one :-o
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers