Guardado May Lose Job to Putz..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guardado May Lose Job to Putz.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dc928 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:32 am

Amazinz wrote:Guardado might lose his job or maybe get traded but my money is on Soriano also, not Putz.

Me too, he is too talented to get past on. I mean Putz is alright but he is no Sorieno. Even if he gets the nod at first he will eventually get push out by Sorieno. ;-D
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:27 am

nikku88 wrote:Unless Guardado gets injured I don't see him losing the closer's job. He's a FA after this year so he probably will get traded near the deadline and he would be worth a lot more if he's still the closer.

I was thinking this too, and it's probably right, but does he really have more trade value that way? Whoever trades for him won't be looking for a closer, they'll be looking for a setup man. So does it really matter what role Guardado is playing in the Mariner pen? The most important thing for Eddie's trade value is that he is pitching well, no matter what role he is in.
cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:46 am

cloverhurstdawg wrote:
nikku88 wrote:Unless Guardado gets injured I don't see him losing the closer's job. He's a FA after this year so he probably will get traded near the deadline and he would be worth a lot more if he's still the closer.

I was thinking this too, and it's probably right, but does he really have more trade value that way? Whoever trades for him won't be looking for a closer, they'll be looking for a setup man. So does it really matter what role Guardado is playing in the Mariner pen? The most important thing for Eddie's trade value is that he is pitching well, no matter what role he is in.

Good answer. I was thinking this last night. In fact the only decent team that may need a closer at some point is Atlanta. If he was pitching well as a setup man I'm sure he would have value.

However, I still think Eddie will stay as the closer unless he gets hurt.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Daddymike59 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:53 am

MotorCityKitties wrote:
cloverhurstdawg wrote:

Good answer. I was thinking this last night. In fact the only decent team that may need a closer at some point is Atlanta. If he was pitching well as a setup man I'm sure he would have value.

However, I still think Eddie will stay as the closer unless he gets hurt.

However he is not pitching well. He continues to blow, literally.

From rotoworld:
Eddie Guardado - R - SEA Apr 25 2006 1:40AM

The News
Eddie Guardado blew a second straight save opportunity when he gave up a solo homer to Brian Anderson on Monday night.

Our Take
Another big two-out mistake for Guardado, and this one came with two strikes on Anderson. Last Monday, he gave up a two-run, walkoff homer to Mark Loretta versus Boston, and in his only appearance since, he took a loss after walking four batters in a non-save situation against the Rangers. Fortunately for "Everyday Eddie," the tie was preserved tonight and the Mariners won in 11. Still, he needs to put together some clean innings.
On the Votto Train!
Daddymike59
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:00 am

If they know they are out of contention than why not just insert Rafael Soriano? He is their closer of the future, he is CLEARLY ready, why not give him some save oppurtunities?
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 432)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:03 am

Eddie is in a serious rut right now. He was going reallly good with two strikes on Anderson then served up a fastball down the middle.

Still, he's not hurt and he is their closer for now. They wound up winning last night's game anyway. I can see Hargrove playing match ups and maybe giving Eddie a break from closing out games but he's still not close to losing his job permanently.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby riverrat » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:53 am

Watched the game on TV last night. If the 'gun' was correct then Eddie rarely touched 90. Consistent at 88-89 velocity...and his fastball was straight as an arrow. I couldnt believe nobody was hitting him!! Trade him now!!
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

Re: ...

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:04 pm

riverrat wrote:Watched the game on TV last night. If the 'gun' was correct then Eddie rarely touched 90. Consistent at 88-89 velocity...and his fastball was straight as an arrow. I couldnt believe nobody was hitting him!! Trade him now!!

Eddie's never thrown overly hard. He's a guy that pounds the batter away (same mindset though different skill set than Tom Glavine).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Re: ...

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:55 pm

riverrat wrote:I couldnt believe nobody was hitting him!! Trade him now!!

I can't trade for a bag of balls in fantasy baseball, so I'm out of luck. If I were the Mariners management, though...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:57 pm

From Rotowire:

Guardado, who blew his third save in eight days Monday, is not in jeopardy of losing the closer job, the Seattle Times reports.

ROTOWIRE RECOMMENDS: "Eddie saved 36 games last year and came within one pitch of closing out two games he didn't," manager Mike Hargrove said. "This will happen. He's a closer. He's our closer." Nervous owners can pick up J.J. Putz or Rafael Soriano as possible replacements should Guardado indeed be excommunicated. But the Mariners aren't likely to give up on Guardado just yet.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers