Why the Mets won't play up to the hype - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why the Mets won't play up to the hype

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:37 am

Xtreemes wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Xtreemes wrote:
brandnew wrote::-b

Watch out in the NLCS suckas! (that is if you make it!) 4 GB!!!


Who are the Mets supposed to be afraid of in the NL? They're 10-1 in their last 11 games and have started pitchers like Dave Williams and Oliver Perez. They just swept the Cards. Once Pedro and Glavine get back, forget about it.


Hi, my name is Brendan Horton. Can you kindly stop saying things like that? I've been a fan for too long to have half-wits like you go around guaranteeing things and gloating about the first good year we've had this decade. Let's just shut up, enjoy the ride, and meet at the parade for a few drinks in November, eh?

God knows if the Mets collapse you won't be around to deal with the recoil anyway, so I'd rather not shoulder your brunt of the load as well as my own.


First of all, halfwit? I didn't know this forum was a place for name calling. I didn't guarantee anything, all I said is that I'm not afraid of any team in the national league. Should any Mets fan be? I'm not guaranteeing that the Mets will make it to the world series, but with where the Mets are now I expect them to. I will be very disapointed if they don't. I am not going to go around saying things like
if the Mets collapse
I am confindent in this team, and I don't need anyone else to tell me how to talk about them.

Thanks :-)


Edit:

Oh yeah, and no matter the results of the postseason I will be around because the cafe is a great place for all your fantasy baseball needs.


When did you become a Mets fan, 2005? :-?

Seriously, because if it's been any time since the dawn of the 90's, I gather you'd have a different tune. Oh well, to each their own. Just remember that your words don't go down smooth if you have to eat them later.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby Xtreemes » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:13 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Xtreemes wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Xtreemes wrote:
brandnew wrote::-b

Watch out in the NLCS suckas! (that is if you make it!) 4 GB!!!


Who are the Mets supposed to be afraid of in the NL? They're 10-1 in their last 11 games and have started pitchers like Dave Williams and Oliver Perez. They just swept the Cards. Once Pedro and Glavine get back, forget about it.


Hi, my name is Brendan Horton. Can you kindly stop saying things like that? I've been a fan for too long to have half-wits like you go around guaranteeing things and gloating about the first good year we've had this decade. Let's just shut up, enjoy the ride, and meet at the parade for a few drinks in November, eh?

God knows if the Mets collapse you won't be around to deal with the recoil anyway, so I'd rather not shoulder your brunt of the load as well as my own.


First of all, halfwit? I didn't know this forum was a place for name calling. I didn't guarantee anything, all I said is that I'm not afraid of any team in the national league. Should any Mets fan be? I'm not guaranteeing that the Mets will make it to the world series, but with where the Mets are now I expect them to. I will be very disapointed if they don't. I am not going to go around saying things like
if the Mets collapse
I am confindent in this team, and I don't need anyone else to tell me how to talk about them.

Thanks :-)


Edit:

Oh yeah, and no matter the results of the postseason I will be around because the cafe is a great place for all your fantasy baseball needs.


When did you become a Mets fan, 2005? :-?

Seriously, because if it's been any time since the dawn of the 90's, I gather you'd have a different tune. Oh well, to each their own. Just remember that your words don't go down smooth if you have to eat them later.


This isn't any Mets team from the 90s, this isn't the great Ventura, Piazza, Alfonso, Olerud teams from 99 or 2000, this isn't the bust teams with Vaughn and Alomar on them. The only thing this team has in common with any of those is the Logo on their hats. I'm not going to expect a collapse from the team with by far the best record in the NL because of the uniform they are wearing. I don't understand how you can watch this team play this season and still expect them to fail. Braves fans in this thread are giving the Mets credit, I'm shocked a Mets fan is talking about the team like this.

And I will not eat my words later because I did not guarantee that the Mets will win 1 game in the postseason. I expect them to do well, but I would never guarantee anything in sports.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 533
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Esen » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:52 pm

I find it funny as hell, how many people at the beginning of the hread were so adament that the Mets wouldn't even make the wild card or the play offs. I mean they were talking with such swagger that Oh My God these must be the Baseball gurus,they have to know what they are talking about. and here we are going into September and the Mets ROCKED the NL, let me repeat, they ROCKED the NL and where are the Braves? I mean come on those guys who knew so much saying the Braves are the team and that the Mets are streaky. LOL, well look at them now. You gotta Beleive :)

However, the playoffs (by the way Baseball prospectus odds line put the Mets at 99.9% to make the Playoffs) will not be easy.
The AL can't be denied of the talent that lurks.
But you know what The Mets are one of those teams that do find ways to win and have as good of a shot as anyone else contending for the playoffs to win the World Series.

One thing that is over looked about the Mets SP situation is that even if it is not the strongest rotation it is very very deep.
Deep enough for the Mets to have enough time to figure things out.
It appears the Mets will have both Pedro and Glavine back.
and argue as you may but El Duqe is a proven play off pitcher.
think he is over hyped? ANDY PETITTE!!!!!! Many people think he was great in the playoffs, well guess what ElDuque has a higher winning percentage then good ole Andy. 80% compared to 75%.
So don't count him out.

I'm sticking with my Mets no matter how good the AL is. if they lose I'l stick around for the rest of you to slam me; however, The Mets did not disappoint this year and have proven themselves a viable team to stay on top for a while. Shoot we have Reyes, Beltran and Wright tied up for 5 years and a lot of other great talent.

I loved the Mets in 81 and I love them in 2006 (for that matter loved them in 73), for siicker or health. right now I;ll celebrate the good times.
And the fun and excitement they have given me and my family.
Willie Randolph deserves a lot of credit for handling the team the way he has. My hat off to Joe Torre for not only being a great manager but a great mentor. Randolph, mazilli, girardi,etc.

Lets go Mets and take it home.

P.S
The Twins and Tigers are great teams I would love for the Mets to play either of them or the Yankees in the series.

sorry for the ramble.. was having fun
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 374
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:12 am

Esen wrote:I find it funny as hell, how many people at the beginning of the hread were so adament that the Mets wouldn't even make the wild card or the play offs. I mean they were talking with such swagger that Oh My God these must be the Baseball gurus,they have to know what they are talking about. and here we are going into September and the Mets ROCKED the NL, let me repeat, they ROCKED the NL and where are the Braves? I mean come on those guys who knew so much saying the Braves are the team and that the Mets are streaky. LOL, well look at them now. You gotta Beleive :)


First of all, the Mets have had a great season, and the Braves have played like sh**. But, one thing that shouldn't be discounted is injuries, which have plagued the Braves ridiculously this year.

BOYER, DEVINE, Thomson, Horacio, Reitsma, Davies

and periods of: Andruw, Renteria, Giles (playing hurt), Chip, McCann (playing hurt)

It was idiotic of JS to rely on Boyer and Devine to save the pen, but God damnit, if they were healthy, I really believe we'd still be talking about the Mets and Braves together down the stretch. The bullpen's got to have blown atleast 85 wins this year. Next year, I think it's going to be a different season.
Image
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3599
Joined: 8 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The 909!

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:21 am

Not for anything, but the Mets haven't exactly been injury free this year, either.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:36 am

pokerplaya wrote:Not for anything, but the Mets haven't exactly been injury free this year, either.


I'm fully aware, and I give credit when it's due, but their injuries haven't been as impacting upon the team. Pedro's definitely been a blow, but that wasn't exactly a surprise, similar to Chipper, and he'd be playing if they were in a race. Glavine hasn't missed much. Floyd's been terrible when he's played. Sanchez hasn't missed much time so far. Bannister is equivalent to Horacio or Davies. Zambrano... no comment :-b
Image
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3599
Joined: 8 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The 909!

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:41 am

Esen wrote:I find it funny as hell, how many people at the beginning of the hread were so adament that the Mets wouldn't even make the wild card or the play offs. I mean they were talking with such swagger that Oh My God these must be the Baseball gurus,they have to know what they are talking about. and here we are going into September and the Mets ROCKED the NL, let me repeat, they ROCKED the NL and where are the Braves? I mean come on those guys who knew so much saying the Braves are the team and that the Mets are streaky. LOL, well look at them now. You gotta Beleive :)



So Mets fans got 1 year right, out of 14 .. I guess thats reason enough to pound your chest eh ;-7

I will say this about Mets fans though, they are humble, well for the most part anyways (see above). And as this thread shows, they are also very patient and realize that nothing is guaranteed, and I do mean nothing ..

.. Hey its the Mets ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 641)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:43 am

Tracshel leads the team in wins .. can anybody else say, "first round bust" :-°
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 641)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:45 am

brandnew wrote:Next year, I think it's going to be a different season.

Ya think? :-b
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:28 am

wrveres wrote:Tracshel leads the team in wins .. can anybody else say, "first round bust" :-°


what does have that has to do with anything? Trachsel is lucky to have that many wins? Yes. Has he pitched horrible? No. He keeps the team in the game in most of his starts, though he looks bad doing it. And it's not like the Mets can't win without Trachsel :-b Their top 2 of Glavine and Pedro is amazing when healthy. Maine, Trachsel, El Duque is of the variety that can keep you in games. With Ollie being the wildcard that I don't think will be that big of a factor this year and Bannister being another Trachsel. Is starting pitching more important in the playoffs? Maybe. But the Mets has more than enough bat to get them through the playoff. And no team can ever guarantee anything when it comes to playoff baseball, how did those all Braves teams with 3 Cy Young candidate in their rotation fare in the playoffs in the past?

I picked the Mets to win the division before the season started this year and last year. The Mets probably is playing a little bit over their head. But to expect them to just dissapear come playoff time and into the future is rediculous. At the very least, the Mets and the Braves will compete for the NL East crown for a long time down the road with their young cores.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 10:13 hours
(and 93 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact