Why the Mets won't play up to the hype - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why the Mets won't play up to the hype

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why the Mets won't play up to the hype

Postby nmarq8 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:32 pm

So I've gotten into argument after argument with Mets fans in my extended family over the last few days about how they won't win the NL, much less the Series. My reasoning:
- Besides LoDuca and Wright, that lineup is full of streaky hitters
- Lack of a dependable MR
- Rotation after Pedro (maybe Glavin) is questionable at best.
All these guys want to say in return is how good Pedro, Delgado, Wagner, and Wright are. Then, to refute my argument they say Delgado's not streaky because he's hit 30 HR's each year for the past 9 years (does that really show that he's not streaky during the season?). They also say Heilman is on the verge of being an elite MR and Duaner Sanchez is the real deal.

Is it just me or do those arguments not hold water? As a dodger, Sanchez was very inconsistent. And I didn't know Heilman was now a MR, and his #'s from last year don't look that good (not near Linebrink, Shields, Rincon, etc.). Don't they definitely need help to get from 3,4,5 starters to Wagner to win down the stretch?
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:38 pm

I picked the Mets to win the NL Wildcard before the season started, and I'm sticking by my prediction.

They have a very good team, but I don't see that staff holding up over the long haul. Pedro is awesome when he pitches but he's still a big injury risk. Glavine is a good pitcher, but I'm not sure if he's who I'd want as my #2 starter. I'm not sold on Bannister and Zambrano is terrible.

I expect a playoff birth, but a trip home before the World Series begins.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:43 pm

If they don't make the playoffs I'd bet it was because of the rotation. Right now it looks good but I don't trust anyone beside Pedro.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Richie Rich » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:43 pm

Basically, the same thing will happen as every year in one way or another.....The Mets will get their fans hopes up and it will come crashing down onto them....
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Kavorka » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:45 pm

Lack of dependable MR's?

Have you seen Heilman to Sanchez to Wagner yet? You remember Sanchez don't you? He's filthy. How is Jae Seo working out for you?

Glavine is a solid #2 right now. Trachsel keeps them in the game. I believe the Mets starters have the best ERA in the league right now.

I'm not even going to comment on the ridiculous "streaky" assumption you made.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:57 pm

Aaron Heilman had a 0.64 ERA last year in the second half (he started quite a bit in the first half). I'd say that is BETTER than Linebrink et al.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby giants! » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:59 pm

I completely disagree about a playoff spot.

Their offense is simply top 5 in baseball.

Reyes provides excellent speed on the bases and will score lots of runs.
Lo Duca has an excellent obp, is patient and disciplined as a hitter, which allows two things: allows the rest of the lineup to see all of the pitchers pitches and allows Jose Reyes the oppurtunity to run.
Carlos Beltran has great talent and has a solid opb. He also has good speed and will steal bases along with a solid 100 runs and 90 rbis.
Carlos Delgado is a consistent 30 hr 100 rbi player. He has adjusted to new york and is playing very well.
David Wright is a top 10 player in baseball and is simply amazing. He has speed, is a disciplined hitter, has great speed, and will only improve.
The X Man, Xavier Nady is a solid player as well. He is hitting .400, but he will regress to about a .300 level. Lets be honest, how many 7 hitters are better than Nady who also has a solid glove in right field.
Cliff Floyd is another consistant veteran who will get 90+ rbis. He is injured right now but will come back and fill the 6 hole and gives the mets incredible flexibility.
Kaz Matsui is shit.

Ill Go into other factors in the next post
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby otp73 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:02 pm

Richie Rich wrote:Basically, the same thing will happen as every year in one way or another.....The Mets will get their fans hopes up and it will come crashing down onto them....

This is a common generic response by Met Haters who let the past cloud their judment. This Mets team is far from the overhyped Mets that signed Alomar and Mo Vaughn a few years back. Omar Miniya has made sound decisions as a GM over the past two seasons. He brought in Willie Randolph from the Yankee organization (randolph knows the blueprint for winning). He signed Pedro,Wagner, Delgado, and Lo Duca. You throw in Floyd and the two yougsters (Reyes and Wright) who are destined for big things....and you have a helluva team that's light years better than any collection of Mets talent in nearly a decade. If the pitching can hold up and they keep teams to four runs or less a game, this team will win a whole lotta games.
otp73
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sharksfan1139 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:04 pm

i would say their main weakness would be SP. But how can you say their offense isnt that great? Lo duca, Beltran, Wright, Delgado, Floyd...that sounds pretty good to me

sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:05 pm

the Braves own that division. you'll never convince a Mets fan otherwise. i doubt they even make the Wild Card with that pitching staff
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers