Busting Baseball Myths: Scientist Throws Big Curveballs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Busting Baseball Myths: Scientist Throws Big Curveballs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Madison wrote:Good read! ;-D

A lot of people could learn a thing or two from reading that article.....hint....no such thing as a rising fastball when thrown overhand. ;-)


They (they being the scientific community) used to say the "a curveball is an optical illusion". I remember letting loose some throws from the OF in my high school days that certainly seemed to take off and rise.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11067
(Past Year: 26)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:58 pm

I thought these points were already known.....stupid scientist.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Because of its straight trajectory, many hitters have an easier time hitting a four-seam, 100-mph fastball than a lively curveball.


Billy Koch says damn visual psychophysics and damn you Ken Fuld, baseball enthusiast and visual psychophysicist, damn you to hell.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:08 pm

Tavish wrote:
Madison wrote:Good read! ;-D

A lot of people could learn a thing or two from reading that article.....hint....no such thing as a rising fastball when thrown overhand. ;-)


They (they being the scientific community) used to say the "a curveball is an optical illusion". I remember letting loose some throws from the OF in my high school days that certainly seemed to take off and rise.


Yeah, I threw a few from the outfield that rose as well, but we're talking pitching on this one. :-D ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby hybrid » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Thanks for the post knap, an interesting read indeed. ;-D
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:31 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:A buddy of mine throws a rising pitch playing whiffle ball (w/ tape on the ball...). it comes in about 6" off the ground and rises up a bit to clip the bottom of the lawn chair we use for the strike zone. It's wicked to hit. Somebody else had been pitching and he switched over to pitch and it was pretty much 'check out time' for our bats.


Tell your buddy to keep practicing because you don't need tape. Balls that have been scuffed move a lot more but all that I do is throw it sidearm with the solid half facing up. If you throw the ball properly without turning your wrist over, it should always break the direction that the solid part is facing.

Good read. ;-D
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:47 pm

bleach168 wrote:What?? No mention of the gyroball?


The concept of the gyroball is awesome. I've never actually seen anybody throw a good one although I'd want to. I've tried to throw it and first off it takes some time to actually throw it the right way because if you've pitched before, muscle memory tells your arm to go towards your body. Secondly, I think you have to throw the ball pretty hard(even though it doesn't have that much velocity once it leaves your hand) to make it break far enough. Those brainy asians think of the coolest things.
Image
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4112
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby KPucks » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:01 pm

Tavish wrote:
Madison wrote:Good read! ;-D

A lot of people could learn a thing or two from reading that article.....hint....no such thing as a rising fastball when thrown overhand. ;-)


They (they being the scientific community) used to say the "a curveball is an optical illusion". I remember letting loose some throws from the OF in my high school days that certainly seemed to take off and rise.


Asuming you were throwing overhand, that just means you let the ball go before your throwing arm was perpendicular with the ground. It would be impossible in any case to have the ball rise once your arm has passed that point.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1913
Joined: 6 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:10 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Tell your buddy to keep practicing because you don't need tape. Balls that have been scuffed move a lot more but all that I do is throw it sidearm with the solid half facing up. If you throw the ball properly without turning your wrist over, it should always break the direction that the solid part is facing.

Good read. ;-D


The tape is actually so that it flies farther when we hit it. This is a highly organized yet chaotic home run derby sort of thing that we do at big BBQ parties while swilling beer, usually aiming the way the wind blows so that we can hit it farther. We also used the pressurized Mark McGwire bat. No baserunning or anything complicated like that, pitching and hitting and occasional spectacular catches.

I will have to try the sidearm thing though, the next time we play!! Thanks for the tip!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:49 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Tell your buddy to keep practicing because you don't need tape. Balls that have been scuffed move a lot more but all that I do is throw it sidearm with the solid half facing up. If you throw the ball properly without turning your wrist over, it should always break the direction that the solid part is facing.

Good read. ;-D


The tape is actually so that it flies farther when we hit it. This is a highly organized yet chaotic home run derby sort of thing that we do at big BBQ parties while swilling beer, usually aiming the way the wind blows so that we can hit it farther. We also used the pressurized Mark McGwire bat. No baserunning or anything complicated like that, pitching and hitting and occasional spectacular catches.

I will have to try the sidearm thing though, the next time we play!! Thanks for the tip!!


No problem. Just straddle the center line of the ball with your pointer and middle fingers and keep the center line of the ball parallel with the ground. Throw it completely sidearm. Don't try to guide it. Never tried it with tape, though. Keep that same principle in mind for other pitches. It makes for a great slider and sinker. Throw the sinker the same way but with the solid part facing down. For the slider, just have it facing left (for RHP) and throw it striaght over the top. I give you these tips because I highly doubt that I will ever face you in a game. :-D

We have a bunch of BBQ's. We play wiffleball until it gets dark. At that time, usually well flushed with fluids, we whip out a few spotlights and play until 2-3 A.M. The neighbors just love us. ;-7
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

NY Yankees at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(1:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(4:05 pm)
Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(7:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(7:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(9:05 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact