Teixiera.. Any concerns? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Teixiera.. Any concerns?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Teixiera.. Any concerns?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:24 am

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
kemper5 wrote:It's something.. Im just glad I got rid of him way back.. I keep telling you guys.. Expect a 25-28 HR, 90 RBI type season out of him.


Hey man, you've posted your little prediction 9 times in this thread. We all get it: you think Teix will hit 25-28 HR WITH 90 RBI. Did I miss anything there?


Yah. You missed all the Cafe vets telling him he was a nutjob.

He deserves a little, "I told you so" especially since you've said you'll do the same if Tex turns it around.

That said, I just tried to deal Tex for Pronk and got the, "I don't think so" in a league that only has one Utility spot and he was playing some garbage at 1B with lots of hitters riding the bench. So I'm not selling out on Tex right now, but I'd be happier having someone else with similar expectations and who's actually doing SOMEthing so far.


Sounds about right. I also got ridiculed in preseason for saying that he was overrated.


Your argument for saying he was overrated was because of his poor split stats. That is completely faulty logic, as it doesn't matter what his split stats are unless he were to get traded out of Arlington. That's why you got ridiculed.

As for kemper5, he deserves to gloat a little. But, it is getting pretty old if I do say so.


How was that faulty logic? His past numbers were inflated due to his lineup and home park.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Teixiera.. Any concerns?

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:26 am

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
kemper5 wrote:It's something.. Im just glad I got rid of him way back.. I keep telling you guys.. Expect a 25-28 HR, 90 RBI type season out of him.


Hey man, you've posted your little prediction 9 times in this thread. We all get it: you think Teix will hit 25-28 HR WITH 90 RBI. Did I miss anything there?


Yah. You missed all the Cafe vets telling him he was a nutjob.

He deserves a little, "I told you so" especially since you've said you'll do the same if Tex turns it around.

That said, I just tried to deal Tex for Pronk and got the, "I don't think so" in a league that only has one Utility spot and he was playing some garbage at 1B with lots of hitters riding the bench. So I'm not selling out on Tex right now, but I'd be happier having someone else with similar expectations and who's actually doing SOMEthing so far.


Sounds about right. I also got ridiculed in preseason for saying that he was overrated.


Your argument for saying he was overrated was because of his poor split stats. That is completely faulty logic, as it doesn't matter what his split stats are unless he were to get traded out of Arlington. That's why you got ridiculed.

As for kemper5, he deserves to gloat a little. But, it is getting pretty old if I do say so.


How was that faulty logic? His past numbers were inflated due to his lineup and home park.


Because he still plays half his games in the park, nothing has changed whatsoever about his environment, so it's faulty to expect that something would change after he put up 3 solid years of numbers there.

I still think he's due for a bigtime turnaround. He and Young both. With Blalock hitting so well, it's clear that nothing about Arlington has changed, so these things tend to have a way of balancing out. Though I must admit I didn't think it would take this long.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Teixiera.. Any concerns?

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:28 am

Yoda wrote:How was that faulty logic? His past numbers were inflated due to his lineup and home park.


He just means that unless something changes, he will still put up the same numbers. So it's hard to overrated, unless he goes elsewhere.

Anyways kemper5 doesn't really get any praise from me. He took a slump and ran w/ it predicting some stats. If he had any proof or reason why, then it may be different. It was simply a good guess so far after a bad start that has continued in his power numbers.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Re: Teixiera.. Any concerns?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:33 am

slomo007 wrote:Because he still plays half his games in the park, nothing has changed whatsoever about his environment, so it's faulty to expect that something would change after he put up 3 solid years of numbers there.

I still think he's due for a bigtime turnaround. He and Young both. With Blalock hitting so well, it's clear that nothing about Arlington has changed, so these things tend to have a way of balancing out. Though I must admit I didn't think it would take this long.


His overall numbers were inflated thanks to his home numbers in 05. His 06 numbers are down he is not hitting as well at home as he did last year. What am I missing?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Teixiera.. Any concerns?

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:38 am

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Because he still plays half his games in the park, nothing has changed whatsoever about his environment, so it's faulty to expect that something would change after he put up 3 solid years of numbers there.

I still think he's due for a bigtime turnaround. He and Young both. With Blalock hitting so well, it's clear that nothing about Arlington has changed, so these things tend to have a way of balancing out. Though I must admit I didn't think it would take this long.


His overall numbers were inflated thanks to his home numbers in 05. His 06 numbers are down he is not hitting as well at home as he did last year. What am I missing?


He has always hit well in Texas, and suddenly is not. That is not something that I would call predictable, so I don't think you can really claim praise for that. Why would you think that after 3 years of hitting well in a hitter's ballpark, that he would suddenly not do so well in the same ballpark?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Teixiera.. Any concerns?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:46 am

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Because he still plays half his games in the park, nothing has changed whatsoever about his environment, so it's faulty to expect that something would change after he put up 3 solid years of numbers there.

I still think he's due for a bigtime turnaround. He and Young both. With Blalock hitting so well, it's clear that nothing about Arlington has changed, so these things tend to have a way of balancing out. Though I must admit I didn't think it would take this long.


His overall numbers were inflated thanks to his home numbers in 05. His 06 numbers are down he is not hitting as well at home as he did last year. What am I missing?


He has always hit well in Texas, and suddenly is not. That is not something that I would call predictable, so I don't think you can really claim praise for that. Why would you think that after 3 years of hitting well in a hitter's ballpark, that he would suddenly not do so well in the same ballpark?


The same reason why he can't hit on the road? He's a good hitter but people went overboard with his inflated 05 numbers. Everyone thought that was a new baseline for the youngster, figuring he can only go up from there.

There is no reason to believe why he is not a top 30 hitter given his age, talent and accomplishments. But top 3? Most people really believed that coming into this season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Teixiera.. Any concerns?

Postby Matthias » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:49 am

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Because he still plays half his games in the park, nothing has changed whatsoever about his environment, so it's faulty to expect that something would change after he put up 3 solid years of numbers there.

I still think he's due for a bigtime turnaround. He and Young both. With Blalock hitting so well, it's clear that nothing about Arlington has changed, so these things tend to have a way of balancing out. Though I must admit I didn't think it would take this long.


His overall numbers were inflated thanks to his home numbers in 05. His 06 numbers are down he is not hitting as well at home as he did last year. What am I missing?


What you're missing is that you could be hitting 1,800 yard drive on the moon (gravity = 1/6 that of Earth) and someone could say, "Well, yah, but they're distorted by where you hit them." But, if you keep hitting on the moon, there's no rational reason to expect your drives to go downhill. I.e. Even if Tex's numbers are inflated by his performance in his home park, as long as he still has the same # of games in that same park, his numbers should stay constant. But I'm not trying to enter the debate one or the other, just trying to explain slomo's position.

And I also wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm praising kemper, but I don't think it's fair to rip him in the early going for talking pessimistic about Tex and then to rip him later in the season on why he's still repeating himself. That's all.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Teixiera.. Any concerns?

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Matthias wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Because he still plays half his games in the park, nothing has changed whatsoever about his environment, so it's faulty to expect that something would change after he put up 3 solid years of numbers there.

I still think he's due for a bigtime turnaround. He and Young both. With Blalock hitting so well, it's clear that nothing about Arlington has changed, so these things tend to have a way of balancing out. Though I must admit I didn't think it would take this long.


His overall numbers were inflated thanks to his home numbers in 05. His 06 numbers are down he is not hitting as well at home as he did last year. What am I missing?


What you're missing is that you could be hitting 1,800 yard drive on the moon (gravity = 1/6 that of Earth) and someone could say, "Well, yah, but they're distorted by where you hit them." But, if you keep hitting on the moon, there's no rational reason to expect your drives to go downhill. I.e. Even if Tex's numbers are inflated by his performance in his home park, as long as he still has the same # of games in that same park, his numbers should stay constant. But I'm not trying to enter the debate one or the other, just trying to explain slomo's position.

And I also wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm praising kemper, but I don't think it's fair to rip him in the early going for talking pessimistic about Tex and then to rip him later in the season on why he's still repeating himself. That's all.


Very nice moon comparison. I was thinking along the same lines.

I also do not think it is fair to rip someone early on for a prediction, regardless of how extreme it may be. However, I also do not enjoy reading a 9 page post and seeing the same "told you so" message by the same person once per page.

I'm simply saying that I enjoy this website immensely for its informative and friendly nature. When a post whose purpose is to put forth a negative or condescending message appears, I feel that it takes away from the usefulness of the site and clogs it with messages no one enjoys reading.

I used to read the official New York Giants message board a lot, but it ended up becoming nothing more than a bunch of mud slinging and negativity. As a result, many Giants fans avoid it now. Rather than a forum for intelligent discussion and civilized debates, all it was was people whining and swearing at each other.

I know it feels as if I'm the pot calling the kettle black with my earlier rant and this hijack job I'm pulling now, but I just felt like I should explain why I said what I did. That, and the dudes in the venting forum are all a bunch of whiners... ;-)
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby espnsportsfan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:12 pm

its taking teix a long time to get it going, id try and add someone decent to play until he heats up
My Fantasy Baseball Blog:http://sandlotsabermetrics.com
Image
espnsportsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Spotter
Posts: 525
Joined: 27 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Saint Lou

Postby JTWood » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:34 pm

Link

Check out the graph of his ABs versus pitchers for the first time each game.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact