KERRY WOOD 130 PITCHES!!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

KERRY WOOD 130 PITCHES!!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jdh » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:00 pm

I think for an example of what can happen and why fantasy owners should be worried about Prior and Wood, take a look at the case of Matt Morris this year. With the Cards pen in disarray and Izzy out, idiot manager La Russa decided to work every last inning and pitch out of Morris early in the year. This came back to backfire in spectacular fashion, and the workload has to be at least partially responsible for Morris' problems the last month and a half.

Even though high pitch counts don't necessarily indicate imminent injury, they do create a higher risk. If you're a fantast owner and you don't want to take that risk, you should check the pitch counts and sell high on guys that are pitching amazingly well but are being extremely overworked. Jason Schmidt, Woody Williams, Kerry Wood, and Mark Prior are prime examples of guys that I would be looking to sell high on and get safer options for.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chichpsalm » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:28 pm

Am I the only one who remembers that the astronomical pitch counts that Jim Riggleman allowed for Kerry Wood several years ago were determined to be a HUGE contributing factor to his Tommy John surgery at the end of that year

Amen brother.
Did you know there are no such things as "white" or "black" people?

http://onehumanrace.com/
chichpsalm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tal1286 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:05 am

i remember kerry wood's rookie season very well and while I am very happy to see that he has finally stopped giving up the big innings that absolutely KILLED him in the first few years coming off the surgery. I wasn't too worried about pitch counts but throwing wood with 130 two starts in a row is worrisome. however i am not so worried about prior as a result of his perfect fundamentals. still though...

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby King Tim » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:36 am

As for back to back 130 pitch outings we need to remember that he hasn't pitched a real game in 10 days. Leiter has a point with Riggleman blowing his arm out.........but Wood was what, 20 years old when that happened. That surgury was about 4 or 5 years ago. Is it not possible that the surgury could make the arm stronger and more durable? I do know that Wood is coming off his first 200+ inning season and I read where he reported a pain free spring training for the first time since the surgury this spring. I think he also has learned to pitch now, where back in the day he attempted to throw the ball through the backstop on every chuck.

Anywho.......everyone has their own opinion. Most see his high pitch counts as cause for great worry.........and I don't see a problem with it at this point in his career. In fact I believe he will be the most dominant pitcher in the bigs within the next two years.
The guy could easily have 14 wins right now if he had a decent lineup and help from the relief.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:09 am

King Tim wrote:Is it not possible that the surgury could make the arm stronger and more durable?

Actually they are starting to find that if a pitcher follows the pre set rehab program ... that yes the are stronger.

would it make you feel better guys if he only pitched 119 pitches the last two games out? Maybe he could just cut back on his warmup pitches at the beginning of the game to help compensate for the extra innings that were officially "IP". Maybe if he only through three warmup pitches in between innings, well then he could go 150 pitches. Know what I mean.
Pitch counts don't meam .... Bleep. When they put a "Pitcho'meter" on there arms to track ALL their pitches, bullpen, warmup and thows to first for their entire career, then we can talk.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1155)

Postby Madison » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:14 am

wrveres wrote:
King Tim wrote:Is it not possible that the surgury could make the arm stronger and more durable?

Actually they are starting to find that if a pitcher follows the pre set rehab program ... that yes the are stronger.

would it make you feel better guys if he only pitched 119 pitches the last two games out? Maybe he could just cut back on his warmup pitches at the beginning of the game to help compensate for the extra innings that were officially "IP". Maybe if he only through three warmup pitches in between innings, well then he could go 150 pitches. Know what I mean.
Pitch counts don't meam .... Bleep. When they put a "Pitcho'meter" on there arms to track ALL their pitches, bullpen, warmup and thows to first for their entire career, then we can talk.

The workload doesn't bother you at all? Not one little bit? Just a curious question. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:31 am

Not at all ... It's funny, I read comments from pitchers that just threw 120+ and they say "I felt like I could go all day." If a pitcher is throwing properly, and is loose, he probably could go all day. Thats is why they have a bullpen session in between games to keep them lose. Now on the other hand, if a pitcher isn't throwing properly and has high pitch counts, there will be problems. I'll present to you Dontrelle. He will go under the knife, my guess is next year at his pace.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1155)

Postby ExcitedSoutherner » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:08 pm

I can't afford to sell prior. I have him in a keeper league. Who else could I get on his level at his age.
ExcitedSoutherner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tal1286 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:33 pm

i wouldn't trade prior. like i said earlier and others repeated...if you have perfect fundamentals like him there isn't much of a worry about an injury. i'm not too concerned about his arm.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers