KERRY WOOD 130 PITCHES!!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

KERRY WOOD 130 PITCHES!!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

KERRY WOOD 130 PITCHES!!!!!!

Postby mrecktid » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:59 pm

Is Dusty Baker smoking crack or something!? That's freaking insane, I just traded for Wood, and this sucks. At least he got the win, and it seems like he'll win more than 13 this year if his arm stays on.

-Mark
mrecktid

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby G-Man » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:02 pm

it's time to start being a bit concerned about wood's astronomical pitch counts, but i would wait until he shows signs of slowing down before getting too worried.....
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:04 pm

I'll take those 130 pitches for the CG ;-D. Then again, I have 6 other quality starters so losing Wood isn't the end of my staff. ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:25 pm

That's the way Baker has been treating the Cubbie staff all year...but I will definatly take the CG shut out..... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby King Tim » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:30 pm

I'm in the minority here but his pitch counts don't bother me. He threw 213 innings last year and is on pace for about 225 this year.....and I do believe he got stronger as the season went on last year (something like 7-1 in the second half). He has now thrown back to back complete games! This might be the beginning of him going Randy Johnson on the rest of the league.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby G-Man » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:37 pm

i think it is tough NOT to pay at least a little attention to pitch counts, especially with all of the reports showing the correlation between overworked pitchers and diminishing performance. however, like i said above, wood doesn't seem to be showing any ill-effects and is also establishing himself as a premier hurler in the fantasy world so if you already have him don't overreact and move him for less then his 1st-tier value simply based on his heavy workload.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:09 pm

King Tim wrote:I'm in the minority here but his pitch counts don't bother me. He threw 213 innings last year and is on pace for about 225 this year.....and I do believe he got stronger as the season went on last year (something like 7-1 in the second half). He has now thrown back to back complete games! This might be the beginning of him going Randy Johnson on the rest of the league.

Am I the only one who remembers that the astronomical pitch counts that Jim Riggleman allowed for Kerry Wood several years ago were determined to be a HUGE contributing factor to his Tommy John surgery at the end of that year (and also to Riggleman's firing)?

If I was a Wood or Prior owner, I would be very very afraid.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Super GM » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:17 pm

130 pitches is scary! No matter from whom! In about a year or two at the latest, Dusty will se how far his pitcher torture got him. Kerry Woods' arm wil be dead!
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ExcitedSoutherner » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:24 pm

I think pitch counts are a bit overrated. However, where pitch counts come in handy are when you throw 120+ pitches back to back. If you only throw 80-100 pitches a game, you can throw 130 or more every now and then without doing much damage. It did appear that Wood was losing a lot of control at the end of the game but he did touch 99 MPH in the bottom of the 9th inning. Prior and Wood are going to take a beating this year, let's just hope that their arms get stronger from it and not weaker or injuried. To throw a lot of pitches you have to throw a lot of pitches. You can't throw 80 everytime out and then think you can go and throw 140 one time. Most people can't walk into a gym and press 500lbs. you have to work your way there first. All I'm saying is you have to push yourself to be able to pitch a lot. You also have to know when too much is too much and cut your losses right before that.
ExcitedSoutherner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:54 pm

Too many pitches on a surgically repaired arm in my opinion. Baker should be protecting his pitchers a little better.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers