Cubs' Lee could miss 2-3 months - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cubs' Lee could miss 2-3 months

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:49 pm

ah, perhaps I can unload 1/2 of my Dunn/Sexson combo on someone? }:-)

the news sucks for the Cubs though, right as they are rolling into St. Louis. Mabry's on the depth chart and is hitting over .400 off the bench, perhaps the other guys can pick it up a bit? :~( :~( :~(
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:52 pm

It is probably a broken Navicular bone. It usually takes anywhere from 6-12 weeks to recover, however many times the bones fail to fuse back from the break require surgery. Also, in some instances, it causes permanent stiffness in the wrist. If this is the case for Lee, this may be career affecting.

Edit: didn't read the entire update at the top - this isn't entirely a wrist injury then but fractures at the tip of the bones connecting the forearm to the wrist. This is actually worse sadly. It'll, in most instances, take 3-4 months.
Last edited by Fade2White12 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby edr4225 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:53 pm

krap this sucks, guess im gonna have to go with Giambi
Go Chicago Cubs
edr4225
College Coach
College Coach

Postby johnsamo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Yeah, it's a tricky place for a bone break because it's right where the ulna and the radius meet the bones in the hand. There's a lot more things that can go wrong in that area than with your typical bone break. If it doesn't heal absolutely perfectly, he'll never be the power hitter he was.

Obviously, he'll have the top Docs to set the bones, but even in the best case scenario, Don't expect much from Lee at all this year. I suspect he'll be out all year rehabilitating that wrist.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Giants7830 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Derrek Lee has broken bones in his right wrist and could miss 2-3 months.
Giants7830
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:14 pm

I don't think that his power will be cause for concern. Lee tends to use his right hand more as a guide hand like Bonds does. Most of his power comes from his upper and lower body coupled with his left side. His power will stay constant IMO, just he may no longer be the gold glover he's always been.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:16 pm

LukeW9027 wrote::~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

this is one of the most depressing moments ive had in a while, as a cub fan and a fantasy owner.

F*** FURCAL!!!!

i hope he shatters both of his legs in a car accident

Well, I hate to say this but I place a lot of the blame on Lee himself. He was standing ON THE BAG, not putting his foot up against the bag like he should.

He's right in the basepath - Furcal had to run through him.

As much as I hate this - and this pretty much ruins my season already in just week three - part of the blame has to go on Lee himself.

:~( :~( :~( :~(
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:17 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:I don't think that his power will be cause for concern. Lee tends to use his right hand more as a guide hand like Bonds does. Most of his power comes from his upper and lower body coupled with his left side. His power will stay constant IMO, just he may no longer be the gold glover he's always been.

This shouldn't affect his glove, either. He gloves lefty, so I don't see a problem there.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mbuser » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:21 pm

i'm in a very deep league .. does mabry now get enough AB's to have some value? or does hairston get AB's now at 2B with walker moving to 1B for the most part?
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby johnsamo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:37 pm

It's bad in the field too. It's his throwing hand. And I don't care how he swings, a righty hitter needs a healthy right wrist. I'm not saying he can't hit, but it's gonna take some velocity off his swing, and that's gonna curb his numbers. If he plays at all this year, it'll probably be with cortisone injections, but cortisone numbs the wrists, which affects the throwing even more... Too bad he can't DH.

Best case scenario, he's back in July, but not the hitter he was for a few months at least.... Worst case, he's never the hitter he was.

The problem for the Cubs is, long term, it'd be better to sit him a long time and rehab that wrist properly, but they're paying him so much $ the pressure to get him out there early is great and that could slow his healing or leave him permanently with a sore wrist.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates