Is this a sound strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is this a sound strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is this a sound strategy?

Postby vcuram » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:23 pm

I'm in a couple of really deep leagues (20 large teams, lots of stats, both roto and H2H). Needless to say, the waiver wire is very, very thin. I've been picking up a player or two every week who is hot. Then, as soon as they start slumping, I'll take the next flavor of the week. A lot of these players are rookies, or someone filling in for an injured player.

Anyway, is this a good strategy? Or will this probably come back to bite me when I give up too many players that will end up having good years? No one else in my leagues seem to be doing it, but it's keeping me high in the standings. Ryan Church and Brandon Phillips are my current guys getting playing time for me.
vcuram
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:29 pm

thats definitely a good strategy ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:31 pm

It's a risk/reward type thing, really... what you've got to do is look at why certain guys are performing well, and if it would appear the trend should continue, you may want to hang onto them, but if it looks like they'll slip back to mediocrity or career averages in the near future, it's at that point that you want to look to sell high, if possible. I try to avoid it whenever possible, as that means I have a solid player at a position, but often when a guy hits the DL, I'll try 2-3 sometimes more players before I find somebody to fit the bill that I like, depending on the injury length.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Return to Baseball Leftovers