Bowling tournament prize: Bowling alley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bowling tournament prize: Bowling alley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:04 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:So say you average an 150 for bowling. You've got 149 or whatever, with one frame left, do you just blow it? It seems kind of skewed.

Good point. They should just run it like a regular tournament, with a handicap.

No I think this is great. It involves strategy instead of just outright best bowlers. There's regular bowling tournaments all the time. Funny thing is, is this could quite possibly come down to the best bowler.

I've seen similar tournaments, and for the most part, you've got two pretty good bowlers going for it in the finals. ;-D

As to bowling in this thing, I will check it out and get the details, but it's doubtful that I participate. North Dakota? Too cold for me! :-o Plus something seems fishy with this whole thing. I'm thinking the center must be in poor condition or something. There's got to be a catch for him to just "give it away" (even though he's guaranteed to get $150,000 for it---must have 600 bowlers at $250 per bowler or no tournament). Be a whole lot easier to get a business partner that could run the center for a couple of months per year instead of "giving away" the whole thing. Something just doesn't add up. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:36 pm

Am I the only 1 that thinks that he could just cancel it after 599 people sign up?? That's $5,990 for doing nothing. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:02 am

Lofunzo wrote:Am I the only 1 that thinks that he could just cancel it after 599 people sign up?? That's $5,990 for doing nothing. :-?

Nah, the bad press would be enough to kill him. Besides, the center's value has to be substancially higher than that. Even a dinky 24 lane center is worth a couple hundred thousand. Not worth risking everything for a lousy 6 grand.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:50 pm

Madison wrote:Nah, the bad press would be enough to kill him. Besides, the center's value has to be substancially higher than that. Even a dinky 24 lane center is worth a couple hundred thousand. Not worth risking everything for a lousy 6 grand.

North Dakota? the $150 is probably more than the Alley is worth. Property values in that part of the country are very high. Plus his bussiness is going to be great for the next few months. He is probably going to make more money off this Than he would simply selling the bowling alley.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:01 am

thedude wrote:
Madison wrote:Nah, the bad press would be enough to kill him. Besides, the center's value has to be substancially higher than that. Even a dinky 24 lane center is worth a couple hundred thousand. Not worth risking everything for a lousy 6 grand.

North Dakota? the $150 is probably more than the Alley is worth. Property values in that part of the country are very high. Plus his bussiness is going to be great for the next few months. He is probably going to make more money off this Than he would simply selling the bowling alley.

You meant to type that property values are NOT that high, correct? If property is worth quite a bit up there, then the center is worth even more because odds are very good that he owns the land as most bowling centers do. ;-)

Anyway, toss the land and the building itself out of the equation, and the rest is still worth $200,000 on the low side, and that's if it's a real dump. Bowling centers are not cheap. To give you an idea, 40 lanes (meaning the lanes and gutters), approaches, scorers, pit area, tables, and chairs for those 40 lanes, run a million easy. That's going on the cheap side too. If you really want it up to date with the latest and greatest, you can crack 2 million very easy for just a 40 lane center. So even if it's a dinky 24 lane center that's run down, the value would still have to be $200,000-$250,000 easily.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:45 am

Ok, I finally did the research on this. Not worth the time as it's only a 6 lane 8-o center. Shouldn't even qualify as a "bowling center" when it's only got 6 lanes. :-t

BOWLING FOR PROPERTY ­ Darin Bail is serious. He's really giving away the Star City Lanes in Velva to the winner of a bowling tournament. If you win the tournament, which begins May 22 with the finals scheduled for June 24, you get the business itself. Star City Lanes is a six-lane alley and includes a cafe. The winner gets it all: Bowling center, cafe, real property, equipment and the inventory. Why would someone give away his business? Bail has operated Star City Lanes for almost two years, but says he's planning to return to Oregon to attend to some family matters. It's too hard to split his time between Velva and Oregon, he said, so he thought the winner-take-all tournament was a good idea. So do we. It doesn't get much more unique than this. Details can be found at (http://www.starcitylanes.com). The qualifying tournament will be held at Minot's North Hill Bowl on Saturdays from May 27 through June 17. The finals on June 24 will include the top 12 bowlers. We're sure the tournament will attract lots of interested bowlers and will be a huge success.

http://www.minotdailynews.com/edit/story/0416202006_edt16EDIT.asp

The official site of the so-called center :-/ :

http://www.starcitylanes.com/

Not worth it. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to General Talk