DEREK LEE LEFT THE GAME - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

DEREK LEE LEFT THE GAME

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fool42 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:03 pm

It didn't look real bad just that he put his hand out to try and brace himself and maybe jammed his wrist or something. He was moving it around so it's not likely to be broke but it could hamper his swing for a while if they don't let him rest it for a day or so.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:08 pm

Rotoworld wrote:Derrek Lee will undergo tests Thursday to determine the extent of the injury to his right wrist.
X-rays taken Wednesday of Lee's wrist were inconclusive. A team spokeswoman said she did not expect the results of Lee's exam to be released until Friday. Apr. 20 - 1:05 pm et

Being that this is the Chicago Cubs we're talking about....I would imagine it's broken and they know it. They are trying to keep ticket sales up for the next couple of weeks before they release the info that their star player is out indefinitely. It's scary how many times we've seen the same thing from the Cubs in the past few years.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby One-Hitter » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:13 pm

i'm a ticket agent at wrigley, most of the tickets have already been sold. but of course they still want people in their seats so as to buy the expensive concessions. word.
"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson
One-Hitter
College Coach
College Coach

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:20 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:Derrek Lee will undergo tests Thursday to determine the extent of the injury to his right wrist.
X-rays taken Wednesday of Lee's wrist were inconclusive. A team spokeswoman said she did not expect the results of Lee's exam to be released until Friday. Apr. 20 - 1:05 pm et

Being that this is the Chicago Cubs we're talking about....I would imagine it's broken and they know it. They are trying to keep ticket sales up for the next couple of weeks before they release the info that their star player is out indefinitely. It's scary how many times we've seen the same thing from the Cubs in the past few years.

After watching that highlight I’d say it’s broken or severely sprained. With the way he instantly reacted and how he was holding his wrist it sure looked painful, and a simple sprain wouldn’t do that, you’d think. “Inconclusive” on an x-ray, with the kind of doctors and $$$ at their disposal, makes me think fracture or at the very least severe sprain. I don’t know how you can go to experts in the field of sports medicine, take an x-ray and have “inconclusive” results. I’m no doctor, sure, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

And yes, we’ve seen disinformation from the Cubs over and over and over. They are the worst for pulling the wool over fans’ eyes, to put it mildly.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:26 pm

I have no idea why but I read this afternoon while Googling around that more than 60% of wrist x-rays are inconclusive and require a follow up MRI.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:I have no idea why but I read this afternoon while Googling around that more than 60% of wrist x-rays are inconclusive and require a follow up MRI.

There are a LOT of bones in that little area, so I can see how it would be difficult, but for God's sake - these people go through almost a decade of school for this stuff!

That's almost as bad of a percentage as weathermen! :-o
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:42 pm

Lee out up to ten weeks. Just heard on espn radio 1000 bruce levine. As a Sox fan hate to see this happen to a guy like Lee. If Pauly wasn't on the team I would love to have D. Lee.
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hooligan1 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:04 pm

SOUTHSIDE HITMEN wrote:Lee out up to ten weeks. Just heard on espn radio 1000 bruce levine. As a Sox fan hate to see this happen to a guy like Lee. If Pauly wasn't on the team I would love to have D. Lee.

Yeah, just heard this as well. Comcast Sports is reporting (unconfirmed as of right now) 8-10 weeks on Lee, which would take us to just about the ASB........ Super!! I also have Rentaria and Marcus Giles both of whom could be DL bound. And speaking of being sunk, how bout them Cubbies? Two best starting pitchers on on the DL and now your slumping third baseman gets to start pressing, as he begins to feel the pressure to be both Aramis Ramirez AND Derrek Lee. I'm sure everything will be fine...............
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:18 pm

Rotoworld wrote:X-rays detected two broken bones in Derrek Lee'sright wrist, and the first baseman could miss two to three months.

Surprise, surprise. ;-7

The Cubs are a horrible, horrible organization due to the way they treat their fans. Horrible. :-t
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bogie » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:19 pm

According to the Tribune:

Lee could be out 2-3 months

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee suffered two broken bones in his right wrist during Wednesday's collision with Rafael Furcal and is expected to be in a cast for up to six weeks.

Lee could miss the next two-three months with the injury, which came on a freak play during the seventh inning of Wednesday's 5-4 win in Los Angeles.

He suffered a fracture of the distal radial bone and the distal ulna bones while trying to brace himself from Furcal, who was charging towards the bag while beating out a bunt.

Lee flew to Chicago Thursday morning and was examined by Cubs team physicians. He'll be placed on the 15-day disabled list on Friday, when the Cubs announce a minor-league call-up to take his roster spot.

Copyright © 2006, The Chicago Tribune
bogie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates