Notes From Friday's Games - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Notes From Friday's Games

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Notes From Friday's Games

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:19 am

Plenty of free fantasy baseball tips, everyday here in Notes From Friday's Games

Time to trade for Thome. wrote:Brewers rookie Scott Podsednik singled in the third Friday night and now has reached base in 45 consecutive games, the longest streak in the majors. The Phillies' Jim Thome had a 60-game streak that ended in early April and was achieved mostly with the Indians last season

Somebody stop them, please! wrote:The Reds plan to replace Sullivan by calling up RHP Ryan Wagner from Triple-A Louisville on Saturday. Wagner, 21, will become the Reds' first No. 1 pick to make it to the majors in the year he was drafted. Wagner was the 14th overall pick in the June amateur draft.

It just might be the year of the Brave people, sad to say. wrote:Atlanta's 62-32 record through 94 games is the "Best in franchise history"
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:32 am

Somebody stop them, please! wrote:
The Reds plan to replace Sullivan by calling up RHP Ryan Wagner from Triple-A Louisville on Saturday. Wagner, 21, will become the Reds' first No. 1 pick to make it to the majors in the year he was drafted. Wagner was the 14th overall pick in the June amateur draft.

Think they might be rushing him just a little. 8-o I know the Reds need pitching, but I think it's a little soon to be bringing Wagner up.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:44 am

Here is a story from june 13...

Reds sign top draft pick Ryan Wagner to $1.4-million US bonus

June 13, 2003
CINCINNATI (AP) - Right-handed reliever Ryan Wagner agreed to a $1.4-million US bonus Friday with the Cincinnati Reds, who think the first-round draft pick could be in the majors before the end of the season.

Wagner, a sophomore at the University of Houston, was the 14th overall pick in the June 3 draft. He went 6-5 with a 1.93 ERA in 79.1 innings with 15 saves and a school-record 148 strikeouts.

Wagner, 20, was signed in part because the club knew it could afford him, and in part because Reds scouts think he could make it to the big leagues quickly. He'll start at double-A Chattanooga with high expectations.

The Reds are considering turning him into a starter, but will leave him as a reliever for now, hoping he can join their bullpen within a few months.

"We're not eliminating the possibility of him being a starter down the road, but we think he could get to the big leagues this year or next year at the latest," general manager Jim Bowden said. "Our scouts say he can pitch up here right now."

looks like thats what they planned all along.... :-?
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:51 am

Yep, looks like they are following their plan. Seems awful fast to me though. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:57 am

Madison wrote: Seems awful fast to me though. :-?

I agree, it does look awful fast...but we will see... I don't know how a rookie will do in the GABP... :-o
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:49 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:
Madison wrote: Seems awful fast to me though. :-?

I agree, it does look awful fast...but we will see... I don't know how a rookie will do in the GABP... :-o

Does He even qaulify as a rookie? I mean last year at this time he was a sophmore at College. Metal bats and all. College Batters.
"I played College Ball". enough said.
He has 9 innings of pro-ball and they are going to put him in GABP. This organization is a joke. I hate to say it, but maybe you all can see why I feel Adam need's to develop too. Why can't they just package say 3 of there 50 potential outfielders and trade for a pitcher. The fricking Dodgers needs OF and has pitching. Seems like a natural to me. someone hand me a phone.
But, as stupid as Cincinatti looks right now, 13 other organizations are going to look even dumber for not drafting this guy if he has success right away.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Payne Dailey » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:05 pm

I watched him pitch today. Not bad, retired the five batters he faced on 17 pitches. You should have heard the fans boo Boone when he pulled him, quite funny. Fox caught this guy screaming at Boone "your breaking my heart"as he was walking back to the dugout, even funnier. He's from Yoakum Tx, pitched at the university of Houston and is named after Nolan Ryan.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Super GM » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:14 pm

I think the Reds are really desperate, cause this is really early for them to call him up..It would probably be better for them in the long run if they left him at AAA for another year....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:01 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:I watched him pitch today. Not bad, retired the five batters he faced on 17 pitches. You should have heard the fans boo Boone when he pulled him, quite funny. Fox caught this guy screaming at Boone "your breaking my heart"as he was walking back to the dugout, even funnier. He's from Yoakum Tx, pitched at the university of Houston and is named after Nolan Ryan.

I saw the game. The fans were pretty upset. The whole stadium was booing when they took him out.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Baseball Leftovers