Is Lohse BETTER than Liriano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Lohse BETTER than Liriano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bellings » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Well, tonight may be the beginning of the end for Lohse. 8 ER in 3.1 IP, raising his ERA to 11.57. He's averaging less than 5 IP per start. The Twins are going to put Liriano in the rotation if this keeps up much longer.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 586
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:33 pm

Liriano will eventually go into the rotation, but the Twins are utilizing Liriano about the same way they did Santana at the same age. It makes sense long term, as EVERY study shows that having pitchers this age throw 200 or so IP is a very bad idea from a health standpoint.

My guess is that Liriano will begin spot starting sometime in mid-May and will actually join the rotation shortly after the All Star break.

It's somewhat similar to what the M's are doing with Felix Hernandez, who is outta there at 100 pitches. Difference is that he will probably throw 175 or so IP, while Liriano probably gets about 125 this year.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Re: Is Lohse BETTER than Liriano?

Postby TonyCee » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:43 pm

Matthias wrote:
kemper5 wrote:Why is Lohse in the starting rotation for the Twins and Liriano is not? Lohse has lost 13 games for the last 2 years while only winning 9 and is off to a horrendus start including tonight... Should the Twins just keep starting this guy?


I really don't get this kind of attitude but see it alot. "Why keep starting Lohse?" "Why would you ever switch Papelbon out of the closer role?" "Why is Shelton batting 6th?"

Here's the answer: because these are people, people. And because their ball clubs are thinking not for the next game but in some cases for the next decade. And they don't want to jeopardize a carefully-groomed player for the sake of a couple games in April. Also because everything is not completely statistics. Players have pressures and stresses which can affect their play so it isn't as simple, always, as moving B to A with the result C. Because the rookie who struck out Pujols on three straight splitters in an 8-2 game may not be able to get out Christian Guzman when it's 0-0 bottom of the 9th and 60,000 people screaming their heads off.

It's not always that simple.

And it's not always what the franchise wants to develop.


Word. And I agree with thehat too. The real fantasy baseball players on this board here don't over react like the poster of this thread (and other people on this board too) because we understand how the game works. Sure we want the young guys to become studs ASAP but we understand how real baseball is run and deal with the factors without being mad or hatin'. ;-)
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1068
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bellings » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:47 pm

I don't know how many of you have had the "pleasure" of watching Lohse pitch, but I would like to reiterate that he really isn't a good pitcher. Above all, his fastball is the flattest I have ever seen. It's like a freaking laserbeam. It's no wonder that he gets jacked. They aren't just getting a piece of a pitch like that, they are getting the whole thing.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 586
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Lohse BETTER than Liriano?

Postby Thursday » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Matthias wrote:
kemper5 wrote:Why is Lohse in the starting rotation for the Twins and Liriano is not? Lohse has lost 13 games for the last 2 years while only winning 9 and is off to a horrendus start including tonight... Should the Twins just keep starting this guy?


I really don't get this kind of attitude but see it alot. "Why keep starting Lohse?" "Why would you ever switch Papelbon out of the closer role?" "Why is Shelton batting 6th?"

Here's the answer: because these are people, people. And because their ball clubs are thinking not for the next game but in some cases for the next decade. And they don't want to jeopardize a carefully-groomed player for the sake of a couple games in April. Also because everything is not completely statistics. Players have pressures and stresses which can affect their play so it isn't as simple, always, as moving B to A with the result C. Because the rookie who struck out Pujols on three straight splitters in an 8-2 game may not be able to get out Christian Guzman when it's 0-0 bottom of the 9th and 60,000 people screaming their heads off.

It's not always that simple.

And it's not always what the franchise wants to develop.


THANK YOU!

These are real ballplayers, and there are cicumstances beyond what you or I, the fantasy baseball fan, will ever understand. Managers and GM's don't have our fantasy teams in mind when they make moves, sorry to say!
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2258
Joined: 28 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garf112 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:36 pm

bellings wrote:I don't know how many of you have had the "pleasure" of watching Lohse pitch, but I would like to reiterate that he really isn't a good pitcher. Above all, his fastball is the flattest I have ever seen. It's like a freaking laserbeam. It's no wonder that he gets jacked. They aren't just getting a piece of a pitch like that, they are getting the whole thing.


No one is arguing that Kyle Lohse is a good pitcher.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 2307
(Past Year: 39)
Joined: 10 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bellings » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:41 pm

garf112 wrote:
bellings wrote:I don't know how many of you have had the "pleasure" of watching Lohse pitch, but I would like to reiterate that he really isn't a good pitcher. Above all, his fastball is the flattest I have ever seen. It's like a freaking laserbeam. It's no wonder that he gets jacked. They aren't just getting a piece of a pitch like that, they are getting the whole thing.


No one is arguing that Kyle Lohse is a good pitcher.


Yes, that's why I said that I was reiterating it. I'm just pointing out that it's not like he needs to work on his command or something, his pitches just plain suck.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 586
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TonyCee » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:49 pm

He gets paid close to $4M this year I believe (I could be wrong) so they have to use him.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1068
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:02 am

No.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3240
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Offshore

Postby TonyCee » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:11 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:No.


Haha, it took me a min but I got it, lol. !+)
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1068
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Aug. 27
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

St. Louis at Pittsburgh
(12:35 pm)
Texas at Seattle
(3:40 pm)
Tampa Bay at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
NY Yankees at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at San Diego
(9:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Miami at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Colorado at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact