Is Lohse BETTER than Liriano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Lohse BETTER than Liriano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kemper5 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Why is Lohse in the starting rotation for the Twins and Liriano is not? Lohse has lost 13 games for the last 2 years while only winning 9 and is off to a horrendus start including tonight... Should the Twins just keep starting this guy?
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RynMan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:22 pm

Nevermind the wins and losses, he is just not a very good pitcher. Nobody in here will argue with you, if you say that Liriano should be in the rotation as opposed to Lohse.

The Twins look like they just want to give him some exposure to big league hitters and break him in easily.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsguy138 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:25 pm

RynMan wrote:Nevermind the wins and losses, he is just not a very good pitcher. Nobody in here will argue with you, if you say that Liriano should be in the rotation as opposed to Lohse.

The Twins look like they just want to give him some exposure to big league hitters and break him in easily.

i definetly agree with this.. i think that liriano should be in the rotation right now.. and since hes not hopefully someone gets injured soon so he can get in there ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 396)

Postby kemper5 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:26 pm

I gonna trade for Liriano while he's mildly cheap and stash him until the Twins come to their senses and start him in their rotation (which I think we may see in Mid to late May or June)
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is Lohse BETTER than Liriano?

Postby Mugrila » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:37 pm

kemper5 wrote:I gonna trade for Liriano while he's mildly cheap and stash him until the Twins come to their senses and start him in their rotation (which I think we may see in Mid to late May or June)

i think a lot of people have that same plan, i've been getting a lot of offers for him.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby 5 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:40 pm

The only thing I can think of is that they like losing every 5th day or so.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:40 pm

Mugrila wrote:
kemper5 wrote:I gonna trade for Liriano while he's mildly cheap and stash him until the Twins come to their senses and start him in their rotation (which I think we may see in Mid to late May or June)

i think a lot of people have that same plan, i've been getting a lot of offers for him.

Me too. I'll only accept value in a trade that perceives him as being a very good starter, not a middle reliever with limited value.

Why should you have to sell low on this guy?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Surfs up » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:41 pm

I have him and have had two offers so far. I also have Zumaya and I think I will have two studs for my team next year because I will not be trading either of them.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 194)

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:51 pm

kemper5 wrote:Why is Lohse in the starting rotation for the Twins and Liriano is not? Lohse has lost 13 games for the last 2 years while only winning 9 and is off to a horrendus start including tonight... Should the Twins just keep starting this guy?

I really don't get this kind of attitude but see it alot. "Why keep starting Lohse?" "Why would you ever switch Papelbon out of the closer role?" "Why is Shelton batting 6th?"

Here's the answer: because these are people, people. And because their ball clubs are thinking not for the next game but in some cases for the next decade. And they don't want to jeopardize a carefully-groomed player for the sake of a couple games in April. Also because everything is not completely statistics. Players have pressures and stresses which can affect their play so it isn't as simple, always, as moving B to A with the result C. Because the rookie who struck out Pujols on three straight splitters in an 8-2 game may not be able to get out Christian Guzman when it's 0-0 bottom of the 9th and 60,000 people screaming their heads off.

It's not always that simple.

And it's not always what the franchise wants to develop.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby garf112 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:03 pm

I think I just semi-agreed with matthias, which is bizarre. Not about the pressure and clutchness, which he seems to bring up in every post. The Twins obviously feel that Liriano is best served learning how to pitch in the majors as a relief pitcher.

On another note, the title of this thread is pretty dumb.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers