Return to Texas Rangers

Ludwick traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ludwick traded

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:01 am

Spencer, Rodriguez sent to Texas for Ludwick

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
July 19, 2003
NEW YORK (AP) -- Shane Spencer's career with the Cleveland Indians came to a quick end after a half-season when he was dealt with right-hander Ricardo Rodriguez to the Texas Rangers for outfielder Ryan Ludwick on Friday night.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:52 am

I'm having a hard time seeing what the Rangers gain here. Spencer is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get player, and while Rodriguez looked very impressive at the start of the season, it seems that everyone (including Texas) figured him out relatively quickly, and he's been simply awful since. Not to mention that he's on the DL with a groin injury. He still has potential, but there are a lot of reasons to be concerned.

Ludwick, on the other hand, may not have impressed anyone in the bigs this year, but he still has considerable upside. While he might not fit in with the Rangers' plans, I'm surprised that they didn't wait for a better offer.

Just my take...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:26 pm

I see Ludwick as expendable. They have Nix/Mench to play one of the corner spots. If Adrian Gonzalez plays up to his ability he'll play 1st, moving Tex to another corner spot. That leaves CF, which will be given to Ramon Nivar (who's tearing up Triple-AAA) or they have the option of taking Anthony Webster, a top CF prospect in the White Sox organization, from the Everett trade.

I think RicRod has something. He has potential to be pretty good, but you really never know. Plus, he's considered something of a head case.

I just wish they would have gotten another prospect rather than Spencer, who's just going to take playing time away from someone else, and I don't know what his contract status is.

I personally see it as a wash.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:34 pm

Yeah, the Rangers have a lot of outfield talent. Especially if Teixeira's future is there. Maybe they could have gotten more for Ludwick, but it remains to be seen if Ricardo Rodriguez can make it at the Big Leagues full time. I think they may be getting desparate for pitching. The Rangers' luck with pitching hasn't been too good so far.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Texas Rangers