Yahoo league mess (Did I do the right thing?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo league mess (Did I do the right thing?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo league mess (Did I do the right thing?)

Postby jebatzel » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:36 am

Before you guys all tell me I was wrong let me explain why I dropped my best players in protest.

This is my second year doing a yahoo baseball league with my co-workers. The Commisoner has always been my boss. In fact most people in the league are under him at work.

He is the worse commisoner ever. Vetoing trades left and right and any time I try and protest any of his trades he pushes them thru before anyone else can say anything.

here are some of the trades I felt where wrong.

he traded Jason Kendall and Chris Stynes for Jeff Kent (Aprill 11th)
(he got Stynes as a free agent)

he traded Brad Wilkerson and Ensberg Morgan for Garrett Anderson (June 23rd) (both guys he got as free agents)

he traded Eddie Perz, Frank Thomas, and Shawn Chacon for Ivan Rodriguez and Curt Schilling (Thomas and Perz were on his roster for less than a week) (June 24)

Then he vetoed my Goodwin and Meche trade today for Zito.

my trade is probably more balanced than that last trade of his.

the biggest problem is he is almost everyone's boss and fear him and there are probably only 3 or 4 people in the league that really follow their teams. So when your boss comes up to wants to make a trade to you and you aren't really following the league what would you say?

So today after he vetoed my trade I posted a message that I quit and dropped my best 7 or so players.

he e-mailed me telling me he called Yahoo and they are going to delete my yahoo account:

"I just called Yahoo in California to see what can be done about this. I talked to a guy that said he is sick of this kind of behavior and is going to discontinue your current yahoo account. I told him to hold off for a day or two, since I know you have a lot of stuff through that account, but if you don’t change your team to allow the commish to make moves for you by tomorrow night, consider your account gone. This is not a threat… but a promise.

Please e-mail me back ASAP. I will also be contacting you via phone tomorrow to resolve this issue if it’s not settled by noon."

:-C
Last edited by jebatzel on Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:40 am

That is a mess. Not sure what you are looking for, but I wouldn't have dropped my players. I would have set a lineup and then just not check in on it. No sense getting your Yahoo account closed over a game and your boss mad at you. Just my opinion.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jebatzel » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:43 am

I never user my yahoo account for e-mail, but I did just sign up for some football leagues that haven't started yet.

I forgot to say he is no longer my boss as of a month ago.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:50 am

Good thing he's not your boss anymore. That could have been very sticky. I still don't suggest just dropping your players. Personally, I'd give him control of the team. Let him play a pointless game that he will win. It gets boring. I've played a few leagues where there were a bunch of dead teams. No fun at all. Just don't play with him anymore and that way you get to keep your Yahoo account. When you sign up for leagues next year check the Cafe' and join some fun leagues.

By the way, you will probably think I'm an idiot for pointing this out, but there is a FantasyFootballCafe' as well. There's a link in the top left corner to it where you can find some active managers to play with.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby d » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:54 am

Madison wrote:That is a mess. Not sure what you are looking for, but I wouldn't have dropped my players. I would have set a lineup and then just not check in on it. No sense getting your Yahoo account closed over a game and your boss mad at you. Just my opinion.

Yes, that's a total mess. :,-( I totally agreed with Madison.

FYI - Yahoo actually had a "Can't cut players" feature for the Football this season. The list consists of most studs in the NFL, so the players can't be dropped from the teams but can only be traded away. I think they would install this good feature in all other sports next season.
Last edited by d on Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jebatzel » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:54 am

I guess the only reason I have keep at it was because I have been in 1st place for more than half of the season.

football is a whole lot easier to due though being only one game a week.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:54 am

This is a mess. But probably better to let the team go dead or give your comish control rather than risk your account...good thing though he is not your boss anymore...but even if they close your account you can open up another one easy enough...
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jdh » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:55 am

I don't know how seriously I would take his threat, because he might just be bluffing and not have called Yahoo at all. I highly doubt that you can just call them and they will remove people's accounts at will like that, and that they gave him control over when he can call back and have the account removed.

He might be using the whole situation to blackmail you into turning on commish control so he can steal players off your roster. Basically, you have two options. One would be to call his bluff and just ignore him hoping that he is making the story up about calling Yahoo (which I am 90% sure is the case). The other option would be, if you don't care about this team and league anyway, and noone else is paying any attention, just turn on the commish control and let him do whatever he wants and don't bother checking the team anymore.

If he does somehow manage to get Yahoo to remove your account, I would call them yourself and tell them how abusive and unsportsmanlike he has been as the commissioner of this league. They might remove his account too if they actually do that, which I highly doubt. With a free service like this, I severely doubt Yahoo employs anyone or spends any resources policing fantasy leagues.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jebatzel » Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:00 am

I think the biggest problem was I got into this fantasy baseball thing to much. its all I ever do on my computer any more

another thing that brother me about him was he would just pick someone one and trade him the next day to someone that doesn't follow the league as well.

I wonder if we can work something out and make the league more fair. there still is half a season left.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jdh » Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:05 am

I don't think there's really anything wrong with making intelligent free agent pickups and then later packaging them into trades. If he is coercing people into making bad trades, then that's another matter.

There's probably nothing you can do with to change the league at this point. The key with private leagues is they are only as good as their commissioner, because the commish basically has total control over how trades are handled. Unless you can get him to change his ways, you're out of luck for this league. Next year, I'd suggest getting into a league where the commish makes the ground rules for accepting/protesting trades and when they go through or not clear before the draft. That makes it fair for everyone, and everyone knows what to expect.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers