Todd Coffey in the 9th - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Todd Coffey in the 9th

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Todd Coffey in the 9th

Postby stlcardsfan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:54 pm

Coffey pitched the 9th inning today. Anyone heard if this was a one time thing or if he and Weathers are switching roles?
stlcardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ActionHero » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:02 pm

This is an interesting development. It wasn't a save situation since the game was tied when Coffey entered the game. However, Weathers did enter the game in the 7th inning when they were down 8-4. Things that make you go hmmmm...
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby stevethumb » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:15 pm

the fact that the reds were trailing and dweathers piched 2 innings (the 7th and 8th) gives credence to the theory that there has been a change in the bullpen...had cinci scored another run in the bottom of the 8th, tcoffey would have been the closer... as it was he got the win with 9 pitches (7 for strikes) and 2 Ks
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby JohnGris » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:23 pm

Since he's been pitching so badly, it could also be that they were trying to give him a couple good innings in a non-pressure situation, get him righted again.
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TonyCee » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:33 pm

The Red's Bullpen was shorthanded today so they had to use Weathers in the 7th inning, it has nothing to do with him losing his job, NOTHING. ;-D

Is it just me or are people jumping on every little thing this year when it comes to closers, I know everyone wants the jump on the next closer but it just seems like some of these people aren't willing to do any research at all, I don't mind doing your homework for you but at least take 2 mins to check ROTOWORLD first. ;-D :-)
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ingov » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:31 am

TonyCee wrote:The Red's Bullpen was shorthanded today so they had to use Weathers in the 7th inning, it has nothing to do with him losing his job, NOTHING. ;-D

Is it just me or are people jumping on every little thing this year when it comes to closers, I know everyone wants the jump on the next closer but it just seems like some of these people aren't willing to do any research at all, I don't mind doing your homework for you but at least take 2 mins to check ROTOWORLD first. ;-D :-)

well, in most competitive leagues it is pretty important to jump on the next closer. you think papelbon was still available once rotoworld posted something on him? coffey is a legitimate dark horse to get a shot to close. the reds usually give someone else a shot and it doesn't look like wagner is next in line. never know when you might find the next turnbow out there.
ingov
College Coach
College Coach

Postby OREO fan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:11 pm

TonyCee wrote:The Red's Bullpen was shorthanded today so they had to use Weathers in the 7th inning, it has nothing to do with him losing his job, NOTHING. ;-D

Why wouldn't they have used Coffey instead of Weathers in the 7th and 8th? I agree with you that many of the closers that people bring up here are safe barring an injury (Isringhausen, Guardado) and probably aren't worth talking about. I would not throw Weathers and the Cincinnati closing situation into that category. I have read before that the organization is hoping Coffey can become their future closer. This is not some pipe dream for fantasy guys in need of saves.
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dc928 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:22 pm

This is a possbility. Coffrey is by sure they are most effective bullpen pitcher and Weathers is not exactly a dominating closer so I say there is a chance this guy will be closing soon.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates