Cycling in H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cycling in H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dark Knight » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:51 pm

Most of us problably do not have the time to take on another new fantasy league, but if somebody does, why not do it as an expirement? Set up a new competitive and active by all managers league with no transactions or innings pitched limit, and have a few members churn, and a few members not churn, and see who wins it all. This would be a great experiment to see if the balanced hitting/pitching teams win more, or the loaded hitter and closer/waiver wire SP teams win more.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 471
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jbyrdo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:59 pm

bigh0rt wrote: 3 - 5 a week seems overly excessive to me. I consider that churning. You're talking about nearly 125 moves on Starting Pitching alone in a standard 24-week fantasy season, at least 100 if you're averaging 4 or so per week... I generally finish an entire season with a max of about 35 moves, and that's if my team gets real dinged up and I'm searching for a filler say, at Outfield. And with that, I manage to generally finish in the top 3 of most of the leagues I participate in, with owners finishing with about the same number of moves, generally in the mid-20s, some more than others depending on busts, injuries, etc. To me, that's quality fantasy baseball, where the projections and pre-season strategy is what puts you over, not trying to rack up K's and Wins and praying to God you can compete in the ratios.

Do you think making 125 moves on your rotation alone makes somebody a quality fantasy GM? :-?


What would you other vets consider churning? If I have one spot dedicated for spot starts once a day (until Prior returns) would you guys consider that churning? In my big money league we have OUTs(don't get me started on why, I think its an awful idea) and HR's allowed by pitchers.

I drafted a full team including a pitching staff. After Prior went down with an injury (I should have known it was coming) I decided should use some spot starts to get some extra OUTS.

My question to you guys is if you think that this specific practice is unethical.
Image
Jbyrdo
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 317
Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:09 pm

Jbyrdo wrote:
bigh0rt wrote: 3 - 5 a week seems overly excessive to me. I consider that churning. You're talking about nearly 125 moves on Starting Pitching alone in a standard 24-week fantasy season, at least 100 if you're averaging 4 or so per week... I generally finish an entire season with a max of about 35 moves, and that's if my team gets real dinged up and I'm searching for a filler say, at Outfield. And with that, I manage to generally finish in the top 3 of most of the leagues I participate in, with owners finishing with about the same number of moves, generally in the mid-20s, some more than others depending on busts, injuries, etc. To me, that's quality fantasy baseball, where the projections and pre-season strategy is what puts you over, not trying to rack up K's and Wins and praying to God you can compete in the ratios.

Do you think making 125 moves on your rotation alone makes somebody a quality fantasy GM? :-?


What would you other vets consider churning? If I have one spot dedicated for spot starts once a day (until Prior returns) would you guys consider that churning? In my big money league we have OUTs(don't get me started on why, I think its an awful idea) and HR's allowed by pitchers.

I drafted a full team including a pitching staff. After Prior went down with an injury (I should have known it was coming) I decided should use some spot starts to get some extra OUTS.

My question to you guys is if you think that this specific practice is unethical.


What types of pitchers are you picking up, and why every day? :-? In your situation, I'd have looked to FA for a guy like Verlander (who I noticed was available in many leagues early), Escobar (strangely, same), Bannister, Arroyo, Claussen, Benson, Thomson, and seen who has the best upcoming matchups, etc. The whole picking up a guy daily seems excessive to me in any instance. It's just overkill, in my opinion. ;-D
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 326)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:10 pm

Randy Watson wrote:We discussed churning in the league prior to the draft

Even if nobody's opinion on this whole issue is changed by this thread, I think this is one thing that everybody should take to heart. Discussing things like this ahead of time can save a whole lot of in-season headaches...

And let's keep things civil, folks. Nothing wrong with heated debate (and when discussions involve differing opinions on ethics, things are bound to get heated), but no personal attacks, please. Thanks you.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8847
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cheap Seats

Postby Jbyrdo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:19 pm

bigh0rt wrote:What types of pitchers are you picking up, and why every day? :-? In your situation, I'd have looked to FA for a guy like Verlander (who I noticed was available in many leagues early), Escobar (strangely, same), Bannister, Arroyo, Claussen, Benson, Thomson, and seen who has the best upcoming matchups, etc. The whole picking up a guy daily seems excessive to me in any instance. It's just overkill, in my opinion. ;-D


I had been picking up the likes of Suppan and other pitchers of that quality. I suppose I was picking up daily just to get that extra edge in OUTs and K's which I now think is a bit unethical (but with Felix as my ace I'm not going to be too hard on myself !+)).

I've decided to just pick up Bush and stick with him unless some other pitcher catches my fancy. Prior, please come back soon! ;-7
Image
Jbyrdo
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 317
Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:34 pm

Jbyrdo wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:What types of pitchers are you picking up, and why every day? :-? In your situation, I'd have looked to FA for a guy like Verlander (who I noticed was available in many leagues early), Escobar (strangely, same), Bannister, Arroyo, Claussen, Benson, Thomson, and seen who has the best upcoming matchups, etc. The whole picking up a guy daily seems excessive to me in any instance. It's just overkill, in my opinion. ;-D


I had been picking up the likes of Suppan and other pitchers of that quality. I suppose I was picking up daily just to get that extra edge in OUTs and K's which I now think is a bit unethical (but with Felix as my ace I'm not going to be too hard on myself !+)).

I've decided to just pick up Bush and stick with him unless some other pitcher catches my fancy. Prior, please come back soon! ;-7


Bush gets my vote, man. He's legit. No need to churn when a guy of his quality can be had in Free Agency. ;-D
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 326)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby tgalv » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:37 pm

i forgot one of the most annoying things about daily change roster churning.

during the last championship week, after your pitcher is done for the season, just keep picking up new guys. it can get ridiculous. and by that point many of the teams will have stopped caring so you aren't even competing against anyone for free agent pitching. then you can get into people picking up and dropping useful players repeatedly to put them on waivers, thereby blocking an opposing managers from using them.

is that any more cheap than dropping santana and the rest of your good pitching staff to pick up mediocore crap to win WINS Ks and maybe bring you back from an ERA and WHIP deficit?
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 696
Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MA

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact