Bubonic Plague Strikes Again - But Don't Worry - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bubonic Plague Strikes Again - But Don't Worry

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HiddenIdentity » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:14 pm

Image
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 1417
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bubonic Plague Strikes Again - But Don't Worry

Postby knapplc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:40 pm

Tavish wrote:Don't they teach history in history class anymore? :-D

The plague wiped out about one-third of the European population in those five years. Some smaller communities it would wipe 90+% of the population out. The death toll was well over 200 million throughout the duration of its stay.

They probably do, but considering that I haven't had a history class in about 20 years and my history knowledge is focused on pre-first century civilizations, I'm not as well-versed on the Plague as I should be off the top of my head.

I could have looked it up, but I was in a hurry. ;-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:00 pm

According to Wikipedia, the population of Europe was around 100 million with deaths estimated to have been around 34 million.

Black Death

and

Medieval Demography

Still, an outbreak in fleas in LA is kind of a freaky thought. I mean NOMAS Garciaparra is there and you might think he'd be likely to catch just about anything that is floating around... 8-o
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby da1chipo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:00 pm

Simulacrum wrote:The chick on "House" last night had the Bubonic plague too. Could the plague be making a comeback? :-?


I was wondering if it was a House thread. Guess not. I've watched it two weeks in a row now and it's pretty good. The actual House character is great.
Image
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Award-Winning Graphics Expert
Posts: 1930
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NY

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:53 pm

da1chipo wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:The chick on "House" last night had the Bubonic plague too. Could the plague be making a comeback? :-?


I was wondering if it was a House thread. Guess not. I've watched it two weeks in a row now and it's pretty good. The actual House character is great.


Is it worth watching? I always see the previews after 24 and American Idol and think to myself that maybe I'll watch it but never end up doing it.
Image

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4368
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby da1chipo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:27 pm

baseball6791 wrote:
da1chipo wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:The chick on "House" last night had the Bubonic plague too. Could the plague be making a comeback? :-?


I was wondering if it was a House thread. Guess not. I've watched it two weeks in a row now and it's pretty good. The actual House character is great.


Is it worth watching? I always see the previews after 24 and American Idol and think to myself that maybe I'll watch it but never end up doing it.


I'd try watching it. Can't hurt.
Image
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Award-Winning Graphics Expert
Posts: 1930
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NY

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:11 am

da1chipo wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
da1chipo wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:The chick on "House" last night had the Bubonic plague too. Could the plague be making a comeback? :-?


I was wondering if it was a House thread. Guess not. I've watched it two weeks in a row now and it's pretty good. The actual House character is great.


Is it worth watching? I always see the previews after 24 and American Idol and think to myself that maybe I'll watch it but never end up doing it.


I'd try watching it. Can't hurt.


agree, i dont watch it religiously, but it's one of the better shows on TV
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:12 am

HiddenIdentity wrote:Image



:-?
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:42 am

House is great; it's one of my favorite shows, although I don't watch it religiously either. I kind of consider it a guilty pleasure, because the potential of the show is kind of hindered by the silly "weekly medical case" plotline. There's very little going on outside of each episode plot so It's ok to miss a few, unlike 24 or Lost.

But House is, without a doubt, one of the best network television characters out there, probably right in there between Jack Bauer and Robert Goren. In one scene, if I caught it correctly because I wasn't paying enough attention, House goes up to the patient and says something to the effect of "Well, you've got the plague. But it's ok because it's treatable. You're also a *bleep* and unfortunately there's no treatment for that."

I was like "OH SNAP, NO YOU DIDN'T!"
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:30 pm

Coppermine wrote:House is great; it's one of my favorite shows, although I don't watch it religiously either. I kind of consider it a guilty pleasure, because the potential of the show is kind of hindered by the silly "weekly medical case" plotline. There's very little going on outside of each episode plot so It's ok to miss a few, unlike 24 or Lost.

But House is, without a doubt, one of the best network television characters out there, probably right in there between Jack Bauer and Robert Goren. In one scene, if I caught it correctly because I wasn't paying enough attention, House goes up to the patient and says something to the effect of "Well, you've got the plague. But it's ok because it's treatable. You're also a *bleep* and unfortunately there's no treatment for that."

I was like "OH SNAP, NO YOU DIDN'T!"


That was a good line.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact