Whats up with B. Giles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Whats up with B. Giles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jbyrdo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:45 pm

He is what he is, solid.

15-20 HR, 75-95 RBI, 90-100 R, 10-15 SB, .290-.305 AVG

Those numbers are solid for a number 3 OF.
Jbyrdo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bselig » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:12 pm

There's very little thoughtless rambling in this thread. Everyone pretty much agrees that Giles isn't horrible and he isn't great. In the 17th round he's a fine pickup. Draft him there and start him when he's away from Petco. I'd draft Giles in the 17th round myself - and I wouldn't whine about his mediocrity. In the 10th or 11th round, he isn't fine. He's most likely a bad pick. He is also rather old, and is becoming more and more likely to decline further, so he's an even worse 'mid round' pick with the age risk thrown in. In 5x5s, if you can get him late, do it, and use him at what he's good for: a platoon away from Petco. If you're like me (and i know many owners are) and you draft power into your outfield, then 15 home runs on the season is absolutely unacceptable, and 85ish rbi is replacement level. With the quality of pickups available at of over the course of the season he's simply not a legit fulltime start in a 12 teamer. Guys like Giles and Holliday can be assets if acquired cheaply and used judiciously, but to burn something like a tenth or eleventh rounder (around where ive seen them go in my drafts) is idiocy. To the original poster...nice job grabbing him in #17, but as you're finding out, he did slip for a reason.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CeeLoGreen » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:17 pm

bselig wrote:There's very little thoughtless rambling in this thread. Everyone pretty much agrees that Giles isn't horrible and he isn't great. In the 17th round he's a fine pickup. Draft him there and start him when he's away from Petco. I'd draft Giles in the 17th round myself - and I wouldn't whine about his mediocrity. In the 10th or 11th round, he isn't fine. He's most likely a bad pick. He is also rather old, and is becoming more and more likely to decline further, so he's an even worse 'mid round' pick with the age risk thrown in. In 5x5s, if you can get him late, do it, and use him at what he's good for: a platoon away from Petco. If you're like me (and i know many owners are) and you draft power into your outfield, then 15 home runs on the season is absolutely unacceptable, and 85ish rbi is replacement level. With the quality of pickups available at of over the course of the season he's simply not a legit fulltime start in a 12 teamer. Guys like Giles and Holliday can be assets if acquired cheaply and used judiciously, but to burn something like a tenth or eleventh rounder (around where ive seen them go in my drafts) is idiocy. To the original poster...nice job grabbing him in #17, but as you're finding out, he did slip for a reason.

Appreciate the comments. Platooning him away from Petco sounds like a solid strategy. Took advantage of his recent trip to Coors. Interesting note that while his HRs declined, his SBs increased from 04 to 05.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bselig » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:23 pm

Yea which is nice but let's be realistic, he's an old man whose career high in steals is 15...expecting a boatload of sb's from the guy probably isnt the most prudent move...any sb's over 10 that he happens to grab will be a nice bonus...
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers