Whats up with B. Giles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Whats up with B. Giles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Philliebuster » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:35 pm

bselig wrote:Giles hasn't been exciting as a fantasy player for several years now, and he's getting further and further away from being useful as he gets older. He's a nice guy to platoon away from sd, but other than that, he's close to free agent level as an outfielder. Personally i'd rather shoot myself in the face than get only 15 hrs from an outfielder, so i haven't had him on any team in a while. Definitely a guy i'd want to platoon with a deep bench, but always gets drafted too early for me to get him.

He still consistently is ranked in the top 20 OFs in my points league where walks are recorded. He's still highly coveted there....and he did start slow last season as well.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:36 pm

bselig wrote:Giles hasn't been exciting as a fantasy player for several years now, and he's getting further and further away from being useful as he gets older. He's a nice guy to platoon away from sd, but other than that, he's close to free agent level as an outfielder. Personally i'd rather shoot myself in the face than get only 15 hrs from an outfielder, so i haven't had him on any team in a while. Definitely a guy i'd want to platoon with a deep bench, but always gets drafted too early for me to get him.

agree, he hits for a nice average, but for where i see him go in drafts, he better do alot better than the 20 HR and 10 SB i've seen him projected that, and i'd be suprised if he even hits that many jacks
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MrTwo94 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:08 pm

AT wrote:He runs like he's got a full diaper and he looks like he has Downs.

That was hilarious. I did actually laugh out loud. That being said, in points leagues where walks and K's are counted, he is gold. Not only due to his point totals but for the fact that he slips under the radar due to his non-flashy HR and SB numbers but the points pile up since he walks twice as much as he strikes out.
MrTwo94
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby nuggets » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:27 pm

You're underestimateing the value of 30 HR+SB, solid average, runs and rbi. Giles is a nice roto player.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Thursday » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:34 pm

I really think he's one of those guys you can plug in and forget about. Solid numbers, just let them happen, they will.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:56 pm

nuggets wrote:
You're underestimateing the value of 30 HR+SB, solid average, runs and rbi. Giles is a nice roto player.

30hr? he'll be lucky to top 20. solid but unspectacular numbers. good for roto i guess. frustrating for h2h.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby dc928 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:28 pm

Problem with Giles is he doesn't have enough power or RBI to pug him in everyday and plus he hits at Petco. I think he is a good player to platoon while he is hot. At best he will make an okay 3rd or 4th OF. I never expect him to do anything better than that. ;-)
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:31 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
nuggets wrote:

30hr? he'll be lucky to top 20. solid but unspectacular numbers. good for roto i guess. frustrating for h2h.

You misread what he wrote. He wrote 30 HR + SB, not 30 of each.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RynMan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Giles has probably similar value to Coco Crisp - more so if your league counts OBP. I don't think he is being over or underrated. If we are talking real baseball, he is certainly underrated.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Jury » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:47 pm

I just wish Giles was in a better lineup and in a better park. We could see what he's really capable of ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers