This Years Turnbow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This Years Turnbow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This Years Turnbow

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:20 am

So...anyone with some good info, who will be these years turnbow.

Who will come out of the blue and be a cheap source of saves?

I was saved by the likes of Turnbow and Reitsma last year as my closers never panned out.

Who will it be this year?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:22 am

I think Adrian Beltre might be a good source of saves. ;-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby brandnew » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:22 am

Well, Papelbon looks good so far...

I think it'll be Rafael Soriano or Orvella.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:23 am

chris ray come on down!
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:24 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:chris ray come on down!

I'm talkin more along the lines of someone who is thrown into the role in May or June..not someone like Ray who basically started the season closing
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:25 am

Papelbon seems to be the real early look, but with so many opinions/rumors floating about the club's plans and intentions, it's hard to get a good read on how long he'll hang onto the role, whether or not he continues studding.

In my opinion, this year's 'Turnbow' is Rafael Soriano of Seattle. I see him being filthy in the closer's role, and recommend snatching him up now if he's available in any league format.

;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:28 am

bceagles04 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:chris ray come on down!

I'm talkin more along the lines of someone who is thrown into the role in May or June..not someone like Ray who basically started the season closing

damn you and your tricks... :*)

alright ill take bobby howry. cuz we all know dempsters getting hurt and papelbon is way to easy of a choice.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:09 am

well remember turnbow came absolutely out of nowhere and most fantasy sites wouldn't have even listed him as the #1 guy to fill-in until he actually did, so this is a really tough one..

In this sense (total dark horses) i think lyon in AZ is a good guy to watch out for as is Franklyn German
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:27 am

I actually think Papelbon is that guy this year; he seems to be showing no signs of letting go of the closer role, and has been extremely effective when called upon.

If I recall last year, Turnbow actually took over the closer role fairly early in the season, like in April or so. Mike Adams was never effective for the Brewers at any point. If there was a guy last year who came completely out of the blue in about May or June, it would've been a guy like Fuentes, who was just a lefty middle reliever on a bad team, I think most people on this forum didn't even take him seriously for the first several weeks he played in the closer role, even though his performance was extremely effective.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:45 am

bdrotoronto wrote:I actually think Papelbon is that guy this year; he seems to be showing no signs of letting go of the closer role, and has been extremely effective when called upon.

If I recall last year, Turnbow actually took over the closer role fairly early in the season, like in April or so. Mike Adams was never effective for the Brewers at any point. If there was a guy last year who came completely out of the blue in about May or June, it would've been a guy like Fuentes, who was just a lefty middle reliever on a bad team, I think most people on this forum didn't even take him seriously for the first several weeks he played in the closer role, even though his performance was extremely effective.

yeah turnbow got his first save April 24th. the thing to me about papelbon is that everyone knows he's money. you had guys like karabell predicting something like 35 saves for him the moment he got his first save. out of the guys that have been named so far he is certainly far and away the best (though the situation is still a bit murky such that I wouldn't pay what he's going for now if i needed saves) turnbow really did shock people by picking up saves as quickly and effectively as he did:

1) b/c he was w/ the brewers
and
2) b/c he was never that highly-touted

a guy like burgos or rodney would be a great turnbow-like player (bad team, good stuff, no big hype) IF they hadn't gotten to fill-in to start the season. right now, funny enough, worrell is closing out tons of games and looking decent doing it; he may be this year's version of Kolb in 2004 if Benitez doesn't take back the job fully or reinjures himself, which seems very possible, but i digress...
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers