Chuck James (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chuck James (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:51 pm

James isn't nearly as highly-regarded as Billingsly or Lester. He's a guy who's had great K-rates throughout the minors, but questions remain because of his high GB/FB ratio and that he's something of a "junk baller" who makes hitters look bad at least in part due to a funky delivery.

Anyhow, he's done well in his short time up this year (as a reliever and in his outing today), but he's not the second coming of Francisco Liriano or anything.

That said, as a Braves fan, I remain optimistic. I think he's a decent pickup at this point, but I would chose my starts carefully.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beezer » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:13 pm

I have been waiting a while for the Braves to finally give James a shot in the rotation. He was very impressive today in his first MLB start. He works fast and is always around the plate, keeping his pitch count and walks down. He was spotting the ball all over: inside, outside, up, and down. He also changes speeds very well. I wouldn't say he has "electric stuff." Watching him today, you can tell that the guys just knows how to pitch, which can be better than just having nasty stuff. Somebody posted earlier that he has a funky delivery which is not the case. His delivery is smooth and effortless. I know it is only one start, but, if I had to compare him to someone, it would be Glavine.

He surely will have ups and downs as all rookie pitchers do, but, he looks like a future star to me. Probably a very good #2 or #3 starter for years to come. He will be in my lineup next week vs. Balt. in my deep league. By the way, he was voted the #7 prospect by Baseball America.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:40 pm

I thought he pitched well today considering there was a delay in the game (apparently the D-Rays have not payed their electric bill). That delay could throw alot of pitchers off. He has a nice deceptive delivery.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beezer » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:33 pm

2-0
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beezer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:38 pm

beezer wrote:I have been waiting a while for the Braves to finally give James a shot in the rotation. He was very impressive today in his first MLB start. He works fast and is always around the plate, keeping his pitch count and walks down. He was spotting the ball all over: inside, outside, up, and down. He also changes speeds very well. I wouldn't say he has "electric stuff." Watching him today, you can tell that the guys just knows how to pitch, which can be better than just having nasty stuff. Somebody posted earlier that he has a funky delivery which is not the case. His delivery is smooth and effortless. I know it is only one start, but, if I had to compare him to someone, it would be Glavine.

He surely will have ups and downs as all rookie pitchers do, but, he looks like a future star to me. Probably a very good #2 or #3 starter for years to come. He will be in my lineup next week vs. Balt. in my deep league. By the way, he was voted the #7 prospect by Baseball America.

My thoughts exactly Hobbes. Smart minds think alike.
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beezer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:39 pm

Wrong post. Whoops.
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:08 am

Just stumbled across this comment at BA and I thought I would share ..

CHUCK JAMES, lhp, Braves
"I don't want to face that guy no more. It's that changeup. He threw me a 2-0 changeup and I thought I broke my bat on my back."
- Delmon Young

classic.
I love this guy. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby davidmarver » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:42 am

wrveres wrote:Just stumbled across this comment at BA and I thought I would share ..

CHUCK JAMES, lhp, Braves
"I don't want to face that guy no more. It's that changeup. He threw me a 2-0 changeup and I thought I broke my bat on my back."
- Delmon Young

classic.
I love this guy. :-)

Consider this the beginning of my Garrett Atkins for Hot Stove League MVP campaign.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers