Dodgers need a quality HR hitter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers

Dodgers need a quality HR hitter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RaNe » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:23 am

Well, it's been a few months and I've changed my opinion.
It's time to focus for 07 and beyond.
Soriano's great, but I'd rather focus on young, talented prospects for our future roster. Kemp, Loney, Martin, Ethier, LaRoche, Billingsley, Guzman, and our newly acquired Betemit make for one topnotch team in a few years. People don't really talk about Loney, but this guy's been tearing it up in the minors with a high average and he's a gold glove caliber 1B. Sound familiar? While Soriano's batting talent is unquestioned, there wouldn't be a spot on the field for him. Ethier's the LFer, and Soriano's a horrible defensive liability at 2B.

Adding a guy like Soriano or Tejada will really help us win the division, but we're certainly not going near the World Series. Winning the World Series is the goal of every team right? When our prospects come up, we will have a more legitimate chance of winning the title. Folks, don't get caught up in the trade mania. Remember what happened when the Mets traded Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano? Yeah, that ended up being one-sided. If we hold onto our top prospects, the Dodgers will have a super team that will last for years. If we're going to make any trade at all, I hope it's for a young starting pitcher.
RaNe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby suppasonic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:19 pm

Hmmmm.... So it looks like that SP we got helped us out just a little bit, doesn't it?
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:00 pm

we should try to get manny. he would fit in much better in laid back scenery than in boston.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:12 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:we should try to get manny. he would fit in much better in laid back scenery than in boston.

Well, given that Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano are heading the FA market this offseason, a trade for Manny is a last resort, especially when the asking price is too high. Ask the Angels.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:19 am

I don't understand why you guys would want Manny or Soriano ..

You have some excellent prospects, well you will if you don't keep trading them away for platoon players (Lugo) ..

Kemp, Either and Young in the OF, and you guys will be set for the next 5-6 years. Get a hold of a defensive 2B cheap, like an Orlando Husdon type guy, and it will make all those up and coming arms look like aces.

I don't see where the Dodgers need to make a big splash into the FA market. I think they need a little patience. They have a nice balance of vets vs. kids now, and if they can keep that balance or close to it, they will continue to compete in this division for the foreseable future.

I could easily see a return of the Dodger type teams of the '80's, just as long as the don't go crazy in the FA Market.

Hell thats what set them back in the first place, the splurging into the FA market.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Previous

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers