What Closer is the 1st to lose his job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What Closer is the 1st to lose his job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nmarq8 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:56 am

cody4548 wrote:If Weathers falters like some of you think. Will R Wagner get the call up or is there someone else?

They tried that experiment in past years, and wagner got lit up. I can't see him being the first choice if Weathers fades, but if Wagner does well for a few months in triple A and no current MR's on Cincy can do the job then there may be a chance Wagner gets the job. It's a long shot to say the least.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:40 am

Coco Cordero is trying his hardest to lose the job. :~(
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bukoski77 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:53 am

It is looking like Todd Coffey has first dibs at the saves in Cincy after Weathers now.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Surfs up » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:13 am

Fransisco Cordero could be next to go. We talked about this a week or so ago and many of you stood by him. Well check out the box score from last night. He already has as many blown saves as he does saves.Now thats a real closer.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)

Postby CeeLoGreen » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:48 pm

Who is next in line in Texas. Could they really be considering a change???
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Green Monstah » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:51 pm

CeeLoGreen wrote:Who is next in line in Texas. Could they really be considering a change???

thats what makes me think Cordero is going to get a lot more chances before he loses his job. There really aren't any options behind him
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby thehat » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:54 pm

CeeLoGreen wrote:Who is next in line in Texas. Could they really be considering a change???

No idea how long Buck's leash is for Cordero. Popular theory would be that Alfonseca would be next in line, given his experience in the role. Personally, I would nominate Benoit based on his stuff, but I have reservations about whether he has the right temperament for the job.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CeeLoGreen » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:58 pm

thehat wrote:

No idea how long Buck's leash is for Cordero. Popular theory would be that Alfonseca would be next in line, given his experience in the role. Personally, I would nominate Benoit based on his stuff, but I have reservations about whether he has the right temperament for the job.

I gotta believe they are gonna let him work out whatever is going on with him. Im not saying he has an Isringhausen type lock on his job, but looking at the current landscape of closers, he has to been at least in the middle of the pack in terms of job security.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:06 pm

I read somewhere that Cordero doesn't trust his fastball which is only topping out at low 90s (used to be high 90s in 2004). He's been using a lot more of his slider which is apparently only an average pitch but he can locate it.

A busted up ego can do some serious damage for closers. Plus he has a shoulder injury which could be part of the problem.

I picked up Otsuka just in case. If Cordero continues to struggle, given that this is the last year of his contract, I don't see why Texas would stick with him. They might let Cordero work through his problems without the added pressure to close out games.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CPHFighter1 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:08 pm

thehat wrote:

Why wouldn't it be Otsuka? Regardless, unless he's pitching hurt, I don't see Cordero losing his job.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers