What's Up with Ichiro??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's Up with Ichiro???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's Up with Ichiro???

Postby Warpigs » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:14 am

I know that Ichiro isn't usually hot right out of the gates during the season, but his .164 batting average so far this season is a little concerning from someone who usually is extremely reliable in the batting average department. What's really boggling to me is that he was so hot in the WBC -- something i thought that would carry over to the MLB season. Any reasons to be concerned considering the extremely low BA and surprising change in play from the WBC to the MLB season?
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:52 am

I really think there is nothing to worry about. As a matter of fact, if he is not on your team, I would highly recommend seing if you can acquire him from an itchy owner who might be worried as well...His value will never be lower. His batting average over the last 3 Aprils is a robust .283, which translates into a severe upswing given his 3 year average of .330. Grab him at his lowest valuation, imho.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby d18Mike » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:55 am

Heard some discussion on this during the M's broadcast. No issues with Ichiro at all -- he's hitting the ball well. He's playing great in the OF. Things just aren't dropping from him right now. He'll adjust and excel as he always has.

April has been a weaker month for him ... last year was ok, but previous years he's hit in the .250-.270 range that month.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Gags Sports » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:03 am

I'd say he's a great candidate to buy-low on.

In April of 2003, he hit .243. 8-o He managed to finish the year hitting .312.

In April of 2004, he hit .255. :-/ We all remember that he finished the year hitting .372.

If you don't own him, it's worth a shot to see if you can get him cheap. He will come around.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Warpigs » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:21 am

Oh, I own him and have no plans of dealing him. I knew about his slow starts other seasons. Just a little miffed that he was so on-fire in the WBC and so cold now.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gwyddbwyll » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:29 am

Yeah I own him too.. just miffed at him and A-Ram hitting .189 combined for a huge chunk of AB's. They're meant to carry my team to the top, not sink it.. I too was sure the WBCs would lead to a good start.

Javy Lopez, Ortiz, Cantu, A Ram, Peralta
Pods, Ichiro, Crisp, and Thome in Util.

and I've still lost most of the batting cats so far..
Gwyddbwyll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mugrila » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:20 pm

i haven't noticed anything to be concerned with. he'll still put up his usual numbers.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:43 pm

Gags Sports wrote:In April of 2004, he hit .255. :-/ We all remember that he finished the year hitting .372.

Only because he had a lucky 2nd half hit rate % of 46. I see him doing what he did last year, around .300. He's got a terrible eye. I watch him daily. He swings at balls 2-3 times every ab. I think he's the most overrated player in bb. Take away his speed (50 infield hits a year), and he's a .270 hitter with little pop.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby dc928 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:49 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Gags Sports wrote:In April of 2004, he hit .255. :-/ We all remember that he finished the year hitting .372.

Only because he had a lucky 2nd half hit rate % of 46. I see him doing what he did last year, around .300. He's got a terrible eye. I watch him daily. He swings at balls 2-3 times every ab. I think he's the most overrated player in bb. Take away his speed (50 infield hits a year), and he's a .270 hitter with little pop.

Are you kidding me, Ichrio is one of the best hitters ever you don't break the hit record simply by speed, if that is the case, then there are tons of players who is faster than him so how come they can't avg .320 a year, year in and year out like he does. He is a contact hitter, he doesn't strike out at all. That is why he swing the ball 2 or 3 times per AB. ;-D
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:20 pm

dc928 wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

Are you kidding me, Ichrio is one of the best hitters ever you don't break the hit record simply by speed, if that is the case, then there are tons of players who is faster than him so how come they can't avg .320 a year, year in and year out like he does. He is a contact hitter, he doesn't strike out at all. That is why he swing the ball 2 or 3 times per AB. ;-D

Best hitters ever? Now you're the one kidding. He has never been the best hitter in his own league.
A career ops+ of 121 is ok, but LIGHT years from the best ever.
And a career rc/27 of 6.37 is good, but again, i could find 25 hitters now better easy.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers