Anyway to pay for just a single-month of internet access? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyway to pay for just a single-month of internet access?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyway to pay for just a single-month of internet access?

Postby Pacman » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:33 am

Guys, help me out if you can.

I'm going to my in-laws' place on the ocean up in Maine for the second half of this week. In the past I've been able to access my fantasy teams on my laptop from Maine because when I bought the laptop last year, I got six months of free AOL. I cancelled the AOL before the six months ended so I wouldn't get stuck paying for it.

Now, I'm wondering if there are any dial-up Net services that let you just sign up a month at a time. Anyone know of any?

Thanks.

P.S. I'd just plan to go to a wiFi hotspot every day to check my fantasy baseball, but where I'm going in Maine has no Starbucks, and NO wiFi hotspots listed within 25 miles of the town (going by several WiFi hotspot locators on the Web).
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:28 am

Just find a rich persons house and sit outside of it in your car and connect to their wireless network..

be careful though I think that someone got like 4 years in jail for doing that
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pacman » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:59 am

Ha, good idea... there are a lot of nice homes out there. Actually, I found that a couple of local public libraries up there actually have WiFi. So I should be able to pop in there with the laptop and check my teams.

;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:04 pm

Nowadays, you can get a wireless connection just about anywhere. I get one in my house and I don't have a wireless connection myself, but apparently someone around me does. You can probably do just that.
Last edited by Omaha Red Sox on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jzfran » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Or just go to the local public library and use their computers. If u make it pretty quick, they shouldnt mind.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:20 pm

Pacman wrote:Ha, good idea... there are a lot of nice homes out there. Actually, I found that a couple of local public libraries up there actually have WiFi. So I should be able to pop in there with the laptop and check my teams.

;-D

Glad to hear you found a solution. I was going to suggest NetZero because they were good to me when I was on dialup a few years ago, and there were no contracts or anything. Just $9.95 per month and that was that. Good to hear you don't have to worry about it now though. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:47 am

You need to get your in-laws out of the 20th century and into the 21st. I can't even believe people still use dial-up, let alone not have Internet access. Even if it's a quiet summer home, I can't imagine my life without Internet access, at the very least.

But, I did some research for you and I found this:

http://www.bamnet.com/onepenny/index.as ... g=google36

Bamnet offers what they call "one-penny internet access." Now that's just if there's a local access number which there may not be, and in that case they offer 1-800 number access for 6.5 cents/minute. If it's just to check fantasy baseball, this may be the way to go. You only pay for the time you're on (as opposed to having a flat, unlimited rate) and you should be able to use it like any kind of dial up.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:07 am

Coppermine wrote:You need to get your in-laws out of the 20th century and into the 21st. I can't even believe people still use dial-up, let alone not have Internet access. Even if it's a quiet summer home, I can't imagine my life without Internet access, at the very least.

Neither my dad or grandparents have internet access. My dad doesn't even own a TV. I don't think he needs to tell his in-laws they're inferior because they don't have internet access. Just because some of us don't think they can do without it, doesn't mean it's not ok if some people can.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:14 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:You need to get your in-laws out of the 20th century and into the 21st. I can't even believe people still use dial-up, let alone not have Internet access. Even if it's a quiet summer home, I can't imagine my life without Internet access, at the very least.

Neither my dad or grandparents have internet access. My dad doesn't even own a TV. I don't think he needs to tell his in-laws they're inferior because they don't have internet access. Just because some of us don't think they can do without it, doesn't mean it's not ok if some people can.

No worries, I wasn't being serious. I'm just looking at it from my skewed, spoiled, modern perspective. I can admit that much.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk