Chris Shelton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Chris Shelton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:13 pm

There is zero chance that Shelton enters 2007 as the Tigers primary first baseman. He did nothing to say, "I should get a look as your starting first baseman." The book on Shelton grew quickly and he never could answer pitchers' adjustments. A few years ago, the Tigers were comfortable handing the first base job to Carlos Pena every year because of "potential" and the fact that expectations for the team were low. Things are a little different this coming season.

At this point, I don't even know if he enters 2007 on the major league roster, if he's even a Tiger at all.
The Tigers' first baseman in 2007 will either be Carlos Guillen or a player acquired via free agency or trade.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:43 pm

There is zero chance that Shelton enters 2007 as the Tigers primary first baseman.

I wouldn't go that far. I highly doubt he's the starting 1B but if DD goes crazy in free agency and the trade market upgrading LF, DH and/or 3B and they need a cheap option at 1B with some potential they could try Shelton again. While it's not likely DD goes crazy or that Shelton gets another chance stranger things have happened. We also can't forget that Leyland preached all year long that Shelton is the Tigers 1B of the future even after his demotion and epic struggles after April.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:35 pm

Dannomyte wrote:
There is zero chance that Shelton enters 2007 as the Tigers primary first baseman.

I wouldn't go that far. I highly doubt he's the starting 1B but if DD goes crazy in free agency and the trade market upgrading LF, DH and/or 3B and they need a cheap option at 1B with some potential they could try Shelton again. While it's not likely DD goes crazy or that Shelton gets another chance stranger things have happened. We also can't forget that Leyland preached all year long that Shelton is the Tigers 1B of the future even after his demotion and epic struggles after April.
Ok. I'll compromise. I'll give him a .001% chance :-)
Seriously, I'm convinced that he will not have the job. Leyland talks some words about "first baseman of the future", but I didn't see much indication of that as the season progressed. I don't always take what managers say as fact. It was probably said to keep Shelton's confidence up, but I don't really know. Regardless, plans can change, kind of like how Carlos Pena was always our first baseman of the future...year after year. Chris Shelton was REALLY bad down the stretch this past season and likely has much to prove. It just looks like to me that the Tigers have other plans for first base in 2007.

I do think Shelton has the chance to bounce back and be a solid MLB hitter, but he'll most likely have to earn it and have an opportunity present itself, like in 2005. It's hard to tell exactly how the offseason will play out, but I'm seeing a situation that won't be very favorable for Shelton in Detroit in 2007.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:45 pm

There's no dread for 'Big Red' in '07

After a drastic slump cost him a place in the majors, Shelton didn't mope -- he got to work.

EAST LANSING -- Everyone seemed trim and energized Wednesday as the Tigers' publicity caravan rolled into Breslin Center at Michigan State.

Manager Jim Leyland looked younger. Justin Verlander's eyes sparkled as he stood before TV cameras and tape recorders. Craig Monroe was relaxed and smiling -- testimony, perhaps, to his new contract. Placido Polanco might have shed a few pounds.

Also on Detroit's you-look-great roster was Chris Shelton, the red-haired slugger who's looking forward to a fresh start.

"It's 2007," said Shelton, 26, permitting a change in years to suggest there could be a deeper change for the first baseman.

He -- and his employers -- would love to think this season will be a stable one for a right-handed hitter who looked last spring as if he were about to become baseball's next star.

He hit seven home runs in the first 10 games. From April 2-9, he batted .583 with five homers and nine RBIs. He had the most extra-base hits (19) and total bases (72) by a Tiger in April since 1960.

He looked as if he were headed to the All-Star Game, to say nothing of being on target for batting or home-run titles. Nothing seemed out of reach for a supposed natural who looked as if he would be the breakthrough player ESPN's Peter Gammons, among others, projected him to be.

What no one anticipated was the roof caving in. It happened quickly, as a mid-May cool-down turned into a June cold snap that by July had Shelton in Toledo.

He returned in September to play 13 games but batted .211 with nine strikeouts in 19 at-bats. He was off the postseason roster.

"The best way to put it is inconsistency," Shelton said Wednesday. "It was something out of the ordinary for me."

He went home to suburban Salt Lake City in the offseason and got busy reestablishing mechanics and thought processes. A man who by midseason could not trust his swing pared away the confusion under the tutelage of two of his former hitting coaches from the University of Utah and Salt Lake City Community College (Bill Kinneberg and D.G. Nelson).

"What I focused on this winter was getting consistency back into my swing," said Shelton, whom the Tigers appeared to have stolen from Pittsburgh in the Rule 5 draft in December 2003.

"The biggest problem last year was that I got away from my game plan. My particular game plan consists of hitting the ball up the middle. I tried to pull too many balls. I got myself out. I tried to do too much. If a pitch is on the outside part of the plate, I've always tried to take it to right field. Last year, I started trying to pull too many of those pitches."

Shelton will be working with a new Tigers hitting coach, Lloyd McClendon, who takes over for retired Don Slaught.

Even from his old perch in the bullpen, where he coached last year, McClendon could pick up on Shelton's confusion.

"A lot of young players get caught up doing things they're not capable of doing," said McClendon, an ex-Pirates manager. "The No. 1 thing at spring training is to not have him forcing things."

McClendon agrees Shelton became too pull-conscious, although both men say that wasn't the only problem. Shelton's swing got longer as he became more power-conscious. He lost his stroke, rhythm and knack for pitch selection.

Shelton was swinging at pitches he had avoided earlier in the year. He was taking pitches that, in April, he had crushed.

It was a sure sign that a good hitter had become lost. But Shelton and McClendon insist a good hitter's abilities can smooth out as quickly as they become entangled.

"It was just that -- a bump in the road," Shelton said.

"Those things can be adjusted," McClendon said. "And, hopefully, we'll get them adjusted."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 004/SPORTS
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:56 pm

I have a feeling that Jeff Larish is going to have a pretty good year in the minors and give the team another viable option at first in 2008. Jeff Larish is more athletic than Shelton, has as much power, draws a lot of walks (but will do his fair share of striking out, too), and he bats left-handed. Shelton is already proven at the upper levels of the minors and has shown flashes at the big league level, but Larish has all it takes to keep Shelton looking over his shoulder.

We all know Casey is no iron man, so Shelton could get ample opportunity, but he'll need to make the most of it.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Detroit Tigers