Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Some early trade rumors

Postby BlueBombers » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:54 pm

BlueBombers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:03 am

Beane has made it clear that he has no intention of dealing Zito right now. Even if Oakland falls out of the race (which isn't likely) and he does decide to deal Zito, the Yankees would be one of the last places he would ever send him.

If Zito plays on the Yankees, it will be via free agency, not via trade.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby dimaggio5 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:10 pm

I heard that Damon and Giambi are actively recruiting Zito, and Zito is "very open" to coming to NY (one way or the other).

Now, how can we dump Pavano and his contract.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Mon May 08, 2006 4:32 pm

What would it take to get Zito? With the Mets needing to give up Milledge for him, the Yanks don't really have anything to give.

Frankly, I don't see the reason for getting him. He was good 4 years ago. Today is a whole different story.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue May 09, 2006 12:10 pm

blankman wrote:What would it take to get Zito? With the Mets needing to give up Milledge for him, the Yanks don't really have anything to give.

Frankly, I don't see the reason for getting him. He was good 4 years ago. Today is a whole different story.

I think the talk was that Zito would come to NY as a free agent. From the tone of the article, it seemed that Zito was leaning towards NY, because of Damon and Giambi. I think a trade is out of the question, given the state of the AA and AAA teams.

The thing that makes Zito valuable, is that he is a lefty, and lefties are always in demand. Evan a above average one. I'm looking at it this way. At this stage of their careers, whom is a better lefty, Randy Johnson or Zito. RJ is total garbage now, so signing Zito would be an upgrade to both the rotation and the salary (after RJ'c huge contract comes off).

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Wed May 10, 2006 12:40 pm

dimaggio5 wrote:
blankman wrote:What would it take to get Zito? With the Mets needing to give up Milledge for him, the Yanks don't really have anything to give.

I think the talk was that Zito would come to NY as a free agent. From the tone of the article, it seemed that Zito was leaning towards NY, because of Damon and Giambi. I think a trade is out of the question, given the state of the AA and AAA teams.

The thing that makes Zito valuable, is that he is a lefty, and lefties are always in demand. Evan a above average one. I'm looking at it this way. At this stage of their careers, whom is a better lefty, Randy Johnson or Zito. RJ is total garbage now, so signing Zito would be an upgrade to both the rotation and the salary (after RJ'c huge contract comes off).

Zito looks like garbage too. Why sign more garbage just because its left-handed?

On top of things, he's going to be vastly overpaid.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dimaggio5 » Wed May 10, 2006 10:57 pm

blankman wrote:
dimaggio5 wrote:

Zito looks like garbage too. Why sign more garbage just because its left-handed?

On top of things, he's going to be vastly overpaid.

I think Zito can be a reclaimation project. Rick Peters appeared to have been the reason for Zito's early success. I think Zito can still be a very good pitcher. Plus, he's tends to have good second halfs. If the price is fair and not to outrageous, I would sign him. Overall, he's a much better pitcher than Wright and Pavano. Plus with Hughes at least 2 years away, and no real dominant pitchers to be had, the Yanks have to put together a piece meal rotation. That is until they could land a real dominant SP, and not a has been like RJ.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it really looks like the Yanks should have kept Petite and Vazquez, and then signed Pedro. Maybe we should've kept Contreras too, while allowing him to work out his mechanics. It is becoming more obvious every day, that they should have passed on RJ, Pavano, and Wright. Not one, but all three, look to be HUGE mistakes. Thanks Tampa!

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Thu May 11, 2006 12:22 am

I agree that Zito would probably be vastly overpaid. But I'm not convinced he's beyond reclamation. Worth a flyer at least. ;-D

RJ is definitely not garbage. He's had a string of bad starts; but he's not necessarily done. We were saying the same things about him last year, and he had a pretty good year. He can absolutely still be effective, just not the RJ of 1999. I don't feel awful about the rotation yet.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Scout » Thu May 11, 2006 6:59 pm

WharfRat wrote:RJ is definitely not garbage. He's had a string of bad starts; but he's not necessarily done. We were saying the same things about him last year, and he had a pretty good year. He can absolutely still be effective, just not the RJ of 1999. I don't feel awful about the rotation yet.

I was immediately going to respond to the statement about RJ being garbage, but this sums it up pretty good.
Scout
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dimaggio5 » Sat May 13, 2006 6:19 pm

Have you watched him over the last season and a half? Can't locate his pitches, and can't put batters away. Batters are on top of his fastball, and he can't come inside. Really bad signs. When your getting paid 20 Million a year, you should pitch like a 42 year old Clemens. not a 39 year old Leiter.

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to New York Yankees