Major League Gaming coming to Cable - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Major League Gaming coming to Cable

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Major League Gaming coming to Cable

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:18 pm

I'd sign up if it wasn't for this nagging Nintendo Thumb injury I suffered back in my gaming days...

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Professional video gaming is set to debut on cable television later this year, potentially paving the way for the kings and queens of game controllers to become as familiar to American households as the faces of Johnny Chan or Annie Duke in televised poker.

Major League Gaming, the world's largest organized video gaming league, on Monday will announce a programming deal in which USA Network will air seven one-hour episodes in the fall, featuring the pro circuit and its players.

Though video gaming fans have been able to follow competitions on game Web sites for years already, MLG's television deal marks the first time regular TV viewers would be able track the ups and downs of a pro tournament, watching video gaming as a new kind of extreme sport.

"This is the sign that pro gaming has finally arrived to the mass market," said Matthew Bromberg, MLG's president and chief operating officer. "It's like poker was two years ago, or NASCAR 15 years ago."

The upcoming televised series will aim to engage viewers with not only with the game play itself — featuring top players of "Halo 2" on Xbox and "Super Smash Bros. Melee" on Nintendo — but also sports-like commentary and profiles of the players.

Among them: Bonnie Burton, also known as "Xena," a 15-year-old from Pennsylvania who is the only female in the pro league and one of the best "Halo2" players in the world; and Tom Taylor, who's known as "Tsquared," an 18-year-old from Florida and budding entrepreneur whose Gaming-Lessons business has already helped hone the video-gaming skills of numerous celebrities and star athletes.

"I'm excited to compete on TV in front of an audience. This will take video gaming to the next level," Taylor said.

Taylor, who gained more fame after he was recently featured on MTV's documentary series, "True Life," takes his sport seriously — from keeping a healthy diet to daily practice sessions of three to four hours a day. He's also ended habits that could harm his hands, such as letting his pet dog routinely nip at his hands and using a knife to pick the bread out of the toaster.

"It is an extreme sport," he said. "It's about quick reflexes and also outsmarting people."

Some top players earn winnings in the range of a couple hundred thousand dollars a year, and the tournaments by MLG usually draw thousands of spectators at its arena venues and thousands more online, said Michael Sepso, MLG's chief executive and co-founder. <WHAT!?!?! - knapplc>

But going before a mainstream television audience could raise video gaming's visibility, leading to more sponsorships and advertising.

And drawing viewers shouldn't be a stretch, since "video gaming has always had a spectator-element to it anyway," Sepso said.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:38 pm

I've come to respect 'gamers' a little more than I used to, which was very little if not at all. It does take some quick wits and reflexes, especially with the stuff that's been coming out the last few years. I refuse to get a 'box' or 'station', primarily because I enjoy the outdoors too much to spend that much time and energy on the couch. Having said this, I probably will not be watching...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

dsa

Postby sPoRtZsTuD2318 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:39 pm

I'm telling you man, I dominate SSB..

I still can't believe they can make over 100,000+. I should sign up. ;-)

Thanks for the sig [b]Wicked[/b]
sPoRtZsTuD2318
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ironman » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:32 pm

Wow, I can't find any reason why I would want to watch people play video games.

That just adds a whole new level of ultra-laziness. Instead of spending several hours playing video games, you spend several watching other people play video games. :-b
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:40 pm

Some random comments,

There's already a video gaming channel in G4. Would be a trip to see it on ESPN though.

The video gaming "pros" not only have incredible hand eye coordination, but they spend around 10 hours a day practicing. It takes some kind of.. ummm.. unique person to play the same game everyday, 10 hours a day, for over a year.

Koreans are still the kings of gaming. Their whole culture seems to revolve around video games right now. They already have multiple tv channels devoted to gaming.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Will they have Civilization IV?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:51 pm

Fantasy Draft Anyone?

I'll take F8Tality with the first pick
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:52 pm

Start a SOCOM league and I would dominate it.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:22 pm

This post reminds my of the Episode in Entourage when Turtle enters the X-Box tourneyment, and gets fake urine becuase he heard a rumor that they were testing for preformence enhancing substances (if you know what i meanImage).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Return to General Talk