Horrible start - slumping players or team that needs help? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Horrible start - slumping players or team that needs help?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Horrible start - slumping players or team that needs help?

Postby hotcorner13 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:28 am

I'm in 9th place of a 10-team mixed 5 x 5 league. I really thought my team was pretty good after the draft, and I've had some success in the past (7 championships in 15 years). So I'm a little surprised that I am doing so poorly this early, and I'm not sure if I'm losing my touch or if I can blame it on poor starts by key players. Here's my team:

C Barrett, Michael C CHC
C Johjima, Kenji C SEA
1B Nevin, Phil 1B TEX
2B Roberts, Brian 2B BAL
3B Ramirez, Aramis 3B CHC
SS Peralta, Jhonny SS CLE
OF Bay, Jason LF PIT
OF Bonds, Barry LF SF
OF Granderson, Curtis DET
OF Pierre, Juan CF CHC
OF Stewart, Shannon LF MIN
U Freel, Ryan P. 2B CIN
U Morneau, Justin 1B MIN
res Lugo, Julio SS TB

P Harang, Aaron SP CIN
P Harden, Rich SP OAK
P Morris, Matt SP SF
P Myers, Brett SP PHI
P Rivera, Mariano RP NYY
P Santana, Johan SP MIN
P Smoltz, John SP ATL
P Valverde, Jose RP ARI
P Young, Chris R. SP SD
res Weathers, David RP CIN

The slow starts of Bonds, Ramirez and Roberts, as well as low power/RBI numbers from Bay and the aforementioned are really killing my batting numbers (only 10.5 points). Pitching is not that bad (32.5 points – 3rd best in the league), mainly lacking in Saves.

I know it's too soon to blow it up, but I'm just looking for ideas here. Free Agent list is pretty thin. In looking for HR and RBI, there's Wigginton, Vidro, Jose Lopez, Alex Rios, Murton and Jack Wilson at the top. Also Corey Sullivan, Hanley Ramirez, Todd Walker to help with Runs and SB. All in all, not a whole lot to consider.

Any suggestions?
hotcorner13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cobra_Kai » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:32 am

Hmmm...let's see.

You could use some help in the OF. Bonds isn't getting it done, and while Granderson has tremendous upside, I'm not sure he'll produce as much as we'd all like him to. I'd also be concerned with Nevin at 1B - I'm not totally sold on him this year. I think Peralta, A-Ram and Bay will all start producing big things sooner rather than later, so don't fret too much.

I like your pitching - although Harang makes me nervous. You could probably use another closer, but it's not critical. Mariano really hasn't had many opportunities yet, he'll pretty much carry you once he gets going.

You might want to think about picking up Vidro - I think he has a big year. I was pissed when someone snagged him off the FA list 5 minutes before I was going to.

And I wouldn't worry about picking up guys for SBs...between Pierre, Granderson, Bay, and Freel you should be competitive.

It's early in the season....wait it out another two weeks or so.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cobra_Kai » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:33 am

Edited because it was triple-posted for some reason.
Last edited by Cobra_Kai on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team