First 2 weeks of the year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

First 2 weeks of the year

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

First 2 weeks of the year

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:58 pm

A few things that I have liked.

1) I really am liking Maddons coaching style with the hitters, as he seems to press fundamentals and hustle which I like.
2) I am loving the Durham Bulls start to the season 8-2 as of now
3) After the first 2 or 3 games, the starting pitching is doing decent even though the bullpen is weak, but I knew the bullpen would be a problem as there is not much talent in it
4) The offense, why not busting at the seams, is doing fair even with the injuries and Crawfords slow start.
5) Our record is 7-6 which is over .500. ;-D

A few things that worry me.

1) The bullpen is terrible, and even though the clock would start a bit early, I think we need a few of our AAA arms in it to at least keep us competitive in the 7,8, and 9 innings.
2) The injury bug is hurting us big time--Baldelli, Huff, Lugo on the DL and also Cantu missing a few games as well
3) BJ Upton is still making the dumb errors. In the game the other night, he made 3 gold glove caliber plays deep in the hole and then on a routine grounder, after a little bobble, he threw the ball about 12 foot over the first basemens head. It is getting to the point with me on BJ, I almost prefer a bullet up the middle where he has to move 10 steps then the 2 hopper straight to him. It seems the less he thinks and the more he just reacts, his defense is much better.
4) We have a upcoming 9 game road trip at Boston, Texas, and New York. Lets hope the pitching can hang on as that is 3 of the best offenses in baseball.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:38 am

For what I expected in 2006, I'm pleased.

I agree with the injury-thing, especially since it hurts in getting value for Lugo/Huff in July.

I still think you won't see major changes until those two get traded. Then, I hope, DY and BJ come up, relief help from AAA comes up (if the Rays think the guys brought up will be in the mix in 2007) and generally set up the last 2-3 months as the audition for 2007/2008.

Until then, I just don't see the Rays making any major moves. Now, if they survive the next three weeks with a chance . . . . you never know.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Return to Tampa Bay Rays