J.Upton or B.Butler - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

J.Upton or B.Butler

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

J.Upton or B.Butler

Postby Mugwump » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:12 pm

Now that Upton is moving to OF, who would you rather have? Who will be the better fantasy player?
I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego, but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD at noon. I thought it was an off-day. At 1pm, my girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!"
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:34 pm

Justin still would get my vote easily, he just brings more to the table regardless of position.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby eazyb81 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:36 pm

Personally, I like Butler more than Upton fantasy-wise, but Upton is certainly the better player in reality. Butler has raked in every league so far, and he just turned 20. However, he is a mix between ManRam and Pete Incaviglia in the field, so that's what separates him from Upton.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:39 pm

eazyb81 wrote:Personally, I like Butler more than Upton fantasy-wise, but Upton is certainly the better player in reality. Butler has raked in every league so far, and he just turned 20. However, he is a mix between ManRam and Pete Incaviglia in the field, so that's what separates him from Upton.

Upton is a complete 5 tool/cat prospect, where as Butler isn't and that seperates them by a good margin.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby eazyb81 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:43 pm

hybrid wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:Personally, I like Butler more than Upton fantasy-wise, but Upton is certainly the better player in reality. Butler has raked in every league so far, and he just turned 20. However, he is a mix between ManRam and Pete Incaviglia in the field, so that's what separates him from Upton.

Upton is a complete 5 tool/cat prospect, where as Butler isn't and that seperates them by a good margin.

Upton certainly has the higher ceiling, but he hasn't proven anything yet in the minors. Butler was on everyone's Texas League All-Star list and has shown the ability to hit for average and power.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:52 pm

Evaluating prospects is more then what they have just done on the field. In any case I was merely responding to your quote saying the only thing that seperates them is defense. Justin has first class speed and is all-around better.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby eazyb81 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:59 pm

hybrid wrote:Evaluating prospects is more then what they have just done on the field. In any case I was merely responding to your quote saying the only thing that seperates them is defense. Justin has first class speed and is all-around better.

I have no problem admitting that Upton is the better all-around player in reality. That being said, your point that he is a 5 tool player doesn't really matter fantasy-wise. Butler is one of the best hitting prospects in the minors right now, and i'm not sure that Upton is really superior to Butler in any fantasy asset other than speed.

Upton will certainly steal more bases than Butler, but I think it is arguable at best that Upton will hit for average or power better than Butler. That's all i'm saying.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:19 pm

How does being a 5-tool/cat not matter in fantasy? Sure it does, having someone that can help in all areas is very useful especially when they can steal 30-40 bases.

Sure it can be arguable about avg/power right now, but I still think Upton has the edge. I also think a good amount of people read to much in his stats last year at High A, a lot like Wood.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:06 pm

I would take Upton by a pretty nice margin even with Upton ending up in the outfield. Butler may very well end up at DH and though his bat may make him worth a lot, just not having a position at all will definitely hurt him a bit. Upton will also more then likely help you in 5 cats where as Butler may only help you in 3.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eazyb81 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:35 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I would take Upton by a pretty nice margin even with Upton ending up in the outfield. Butler may very well end up at DH and though his bat may make him worth a lot, just not having a position at all will definitely hurt him a bit. Upton will also more then likely help you in 5 cats where as Butler may only help you in 3.

How will being a DH hurt Butler's fantasy value? That doesn't make much sense.

You're right that Upton will have across the board value as a possible 5 cat guy, but I don't think he will necessarily offer the kind of power production that Butler will provide, and I think that may be what separates them.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball