Vernon Wells... Monster numbers this year???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells... Monster numbers this year????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:11 pm

I had him with a very good year pre-season, but didn't really expect a start like this. I was able to grab him in most of my leagues including my money leauge. ;-D
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:56 am

Wells has potential, but it worries me that his career OPS is only .817, and he's only exceeded .810 once. That lends me to believe his production isn't going to shoot up just because of what's around him...
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:49 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:Wells has potential, but it worries me that his career OPS is only .817, and he's only exceeded .810 once. That lends me to believe his production isn't going to shoot up just because of what's around him...

Wells seems to be a totally different hitter when he has a good power hitter behind him. His career year in '03, occured the same year that Delgado went on that monstrous tear. In 2004, Delgado was still there, but both of them had their injury problems and were never really able to put anything together. Then in 2005, Shea Hillenbrand batted cleanup. :-[ That project didn't turn out too well for anybody.

With Glaus here, it looks like he's back to being his '03 self. I really think 200 hits, 35 HR, a .300 AVG, and 110 RBIs are within the realm of possibility this year. I'm even beginning to wonder why I traded the guy for Prior.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby johnsamo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:47 am

I used to have him as a keeper back when he had Delgado protecting him... He was streaky, ranging from fantastic to average... But he was younger then. Last year was an abberation, the BJs just sucked and you could pitch around him. This should be his prime years. Glauss staying helathy is critical, but the whole team looks better this year too.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:59 am

mweir145 wrote:
tinfoilxtouch wrote:Wells has potential, but it worries me that his career OPS is only .817, and he's only exceeded .810 once. That lends me to believe his production isn't going to shoot up just because of what's around him...

Wells seems to be a totally different hitter when he has a good power hitter behind him. His career year in '03, occured the same year that Delgado went on that monstrous tear. In 2004, Delgado was still there, but both of them had their injury problems and were never really able to put anything together. Then in 2005, Shea Hillenbrand batted cleanup. :-[ That project didn't turn out too well for anybody.

With Glaus here, it looks like he's back to being his '03 self. I really think 200 hits, 35 HR, a .300 AVG, and 110 RBIs are within the realm of possibility this year. I'm even beginning to wonder why I traded the guy for Prior.

I agree that he'll boost his numbers this season with Glaus behind him, but I don't think it'll be anything like having Delgado. Back in 03, pitchers would do just about anything to avoid Carlos, even if that meant pitching toward contact with Wells. Glaus is a good hitter, but I don't think many people fear him more than Wells. There is protection, and then there is someone have a career year right behind you.

I'm going to project him as going 30 HR, .285 avg, 100 RBI, 90 runs.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers