2006 ML Breakout players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2006 ML Breakout players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2006 ML Breakout players

Postby JohnR » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:46 am

I tried doing a search and surprisingly I couldn't find one addressing breakouts globally. With about a week into the Minor League season, who are those players (hitters or pitchers) who are going to be climbing prospect charts this year? Could be guys low on prospect lists right now who will see significant rises (ala Liriano last year), or guys who seemingly no one's really ever heard of who will be known by all this time next year....I'll start with a few:

Nick Adenhart, SP ANA: coming off Tommy John Surgery, he was a first round talent selected late in the draft by the Angels in '04. Recovered now and looks to have regained his stuff from his pre surgery days and all he's doing right now is working on his control. In 2 appearances so far in the young season, the 19 year old has pitched 12 innings and given up 4 ER (3.00 ERA) with 4 BB and 11 K's. It wouldn't surprise me to see him being ranked as the Angels #1 pitching prospect this time next year, with or without Weaver still in the minors.

Tyler Lumsden, SP CHW: Another surgery victim and a 2004 draftee. Missed all of last year after having a bone spur removed. Looked great in ST, and so far in 2 appearances this year 9 K and 1 BB in 11 IP and has yet to allow a run. Always had great stuff, now he'll pop up on charts everywhere if he stays healthy.

Matt Garza, SP MIN: last years first round pick, Garza has been nothing short of dominant thus far in the early going. 2-0, 0.90 ERA, 14 K and 0 BB in 10 IP so far. Overshadowed by some of the more known Twins prospects, Garza is going to really explode this year.

Hitters:
Nolan Reimold, OF BAL: was a draft day bargain last year, as one of the better hitters available in the draft. this year so far hes hitting (.323/.400/.581) with 2 HR and 9:4 K:BB rate in 31 AB. factor in 3 SB already and we might be seeing a nice player develop before our eyes. He's going to rocket up charts if he keeps hitting.

Fernando Martinez, OF NYM: all hype right now but he's living up to it so far in the early going. I'm still not sure what his true birthdate is (MiLB.com has it listed as '88, other sites say hes only 17 yo), but for being in A ball he is more than holding his own thus far. He's so far hitting .325/.413/.550 with 1 HR and a 6:4 K/BB rate in 40 AB. He may be the biggest thing going in ML drafts next year, and considering hes at the same level as McCutcheon and Andrus (and both of those guys are going before Fernando in ML drafts this year), this may be your one and only shot to get him before the hype settles in.

Reid Brignac, SS TB: only 20 yo and hitting in the same level as Brandon Wood's breakout last year. I've seen 2 experts predicting breakout for him this year, and a lot of people are drawing comparisons to Wood now. I dont know if I agree with them, but hes certainly in the right league for it to happen. .361/.429/.667 with 3 HR, 13 RBI and a much improved 8/4 K/BB rate from last year. granted only 36 AB, but the California league will make his final numbers look great. Tampa could be in a nice dilemma trying to figure out what to do with him.

feel free to add your own
The one constant through all the years has been baseball. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again...This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Armadillo Fury » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:41 pm

Christian Garcia
Mark Pawelek

Purely for fantasy purposes, Marcus Sanders should already be in everyone's top 50, but he should get more attention next year. He can get on base and is simply a rediculous base stealer.

Carlos Gonzales- he's fairly well known but he could be in a lot of people's top 15 next year.
Armadillo Fury
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:30 pm

There are 3 guys that I have seen play a couple of times already this year that have really impressed me.

Trevor Crowe--CF high A Indians. He is blocked in the bigs by Sizemore but this guy has serious potential to become a star. He plays a great outfield defense and has showed a very good bat so far.

Stephen Head--1B high A Indians. He really is not blocked at the major league level unless Garko makes the transition to 1B. He has played a great defense at 1B so far, and even though his average is not there yet, he hit a 480 foot shot down the right field line Thursday night.

Chris Kelly--1B high A White Sox. He is definitely blocked by Thome and Konerko at the big league level, but he has shown me a huge bat in 3 games this year. He has not shown much foot speed though so I don't think he will ever see 1B with the White Sox due to the 2 big sluggers there already, so I expect a trade of some type in the next year or so if he keeps showing the great bat that I have seen so far.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby patty cheeks » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:07 pm

I could see Carlos Gonzales as a top 15 prospect this year and I like Nick Adenhart as well.
patty cheeks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:19 am

Where did you find this article? I saw it some where and was trying to remember where?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 192)

Postby JohnR » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:27 am

it's not an article lol its my own insight
The one constant through all the years has been baseball. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again...This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Galt » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:54 am

I think after another year of absolutely mashing pitching, people will start to forget how ugly Hunter Pence's swing apparently is, and move him up the lists.

I think either BA doesn't even have him listed in the top 100 prospects.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:33 am

Yovanni Gallardo P MIL.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby nathan050904 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:24 am

Wade Davis- South West Michigan (A)
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mets Outfielder

Postby tallguy22 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:52 pm

Who is this mets outfielder you are talking about. I'm a mets fan, and I haven't heard of him. He must be in A ball.

He won't have a chance unless Lastings Millege Busts. And scouts have him as one of the quickest bats in the minors right now. He'll take FLoyds place next year after his contract is done.
tallguy22
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball